BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my first post to the X5 E70 sub forum, I figured I should make it beneficial to others as I've been perusing this forum and others for a couple months now and learning a great deal about our vehicles from them.

First, a quick background on how I've gotten here...
  • Married 32 year old with a new born and a 3 year old.
  • Had a 2012 Kia Optima that I purchased new but needed more room for the kiddies.
  • First time BMW owner.
  • Wanted luxury SUV with decently low miles and an extended warranty.
  • Loved the timeless styling of the E70 and found this beauty.
  • 2009 BMW X5 3.0i xDrive, Platinum Bronze Metallic, 20" 214's staggered with flares

Second, I want to make sure it's clear that I'm no way associated with LUX or Optilux/Hella and my only intentions behind this post are to help others and introduce myself to the community.
On the the exterior lighting upgrades!

After hours upon hours of scouring the internet to find the best solution for upgrading the factory halos, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of LUX H8 160 7000K LED. I purchased them through Amazon as I already have an account setup (as most people do) and have returned multiple products in the past with no issues.
Link here: http://www.amazon.com/LUX-Angel-Eyes-7000k-Cree/dp/B00WXS2AX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462507168&sr=8-1&keywords=lux+h8

I ended up choosing these lights because of the multiple positive reviews I found on the forums from other enthusiasts, positive Amazon reviews and I liked the fact that throughout my research I noticed that LUX was active in forum discussions about their products. The lights come with a 1 year warranty which is also a positive since these puppies aren't necessarily the cheapest. I did however see these as the most economical option to achieve the lighting effect I wanted of a nice, crisp, white light.
On to the photos!

Packaging.

Packaging continued. No instructions are included so you'll need to reference the following link:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0704/5005/files/InstallX5.pdf

The instructions are straight forward and the install shouldn't take more than half an hour. The only comment I would make is that the plug in the headlight housing has almost no slack so it can be difficult to connect the light. Keep the packaging inserts to set the lights on as you're trying to make this connection so they are protected and not left dragging throughout the engine bay.

Factory Halo

LUX Halo

Factory Halo

LUX Halo

LUX on left, factory on right. Notice the LUX side is slightly in the shade compared to the right. Not the best comparison photo but you get the idea.

I've always been a fan of noticeably yellow fogs lights on all my vehicles so I also replaced the factory fog lights bulbs with Optilux Extreme Yellow bulbs. Again, after searching through Amazon, these bulbs matched the factory bulb specs and had solid reviews. Amazon Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71071132-Xenon-Yellow-Halogen/dp/B002E2WMWG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Install instructions here: http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2008_BMW_X5_3.0si_3.0L_6_Cyl./lights/foglamp
Should take you 20 minutes maybe to replace both bulbs.

LUX halos with factory fog light bulbs.

LUX halos with Optilux fog light bulbs.

LUX halo at night.

Night shot with all lights.

Conclusion:
Overall I'm happy with the new setup. The aesthetic I was looking for was achieved perfectly to my liking with both of these bulbs. The Optilux bulbs were only around $25 for the pair but It did take me a little while to convince myself that $200 was not crazy to replace my halo bulbs but again after hours of research, I couldn't find anything comparable that gave the product confidence that these did. There were lots of other bulbs out there but I continued to find cases where CEL's were being thrown and I did not see that coming up with the LUX.

At the time of this post, the lights have only been installed for a week and the plan is to return this post in the future as needed to provide updates on longevity and performance.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
621 Posts
The yellow fog lights look nice. I was thinking about buying the exact ones you bought, but I got the yellow tinted fog light covers instead. Gives it a nice yellow color as well.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have those same foglight bulbs as well. I only changed mine because I thought mine were busted...Then I found out it was just the "auto on" when turning feature. SMH!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,937 Posts
I have those same foglight bulbs as well. I only changed mine because I thought mine were busted...Then I found out it was just the "auto on" when turning feature. SMH!
Very nice! Is there a DIY on how to replace the fog light bulbs? Thanks!
That's what led me to change mine too. I found the YT video. It really is a ten minute job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts