BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the shark fine on my 05 325i with assist. Can i use this shark fin as an antenna for more things than just assist? i'm about to retrofit nav into my car, and it'd be cool if i could just use this thing instead of adding yet another antenna to my car. and how about sirius? i had the dealer install sirius for me (i wish i would have done it myself), and they mounted a magnetic antenna on the trunk lid. i was expecting it to be tied into the shark fin, but maybe this isn't possible?

·
Registered
781 Posts
cambie said:
I have a question about the shark fine on my 05 325i with assist. Can i use this shark fin as an antenna for more things than just assist? i'm about to retrofit nav into my car, and it'd be cool if i could just use this thing instead of adding yet another antenna to my car. and how about sirius? i had the dealer install sirius for me (i wish i would have done it myself), and they mounted a magnetic antenna on the trunk lid. i was expecting it to be tied into the shark fin, but maybe this isn't possible?
Shark fin can only be used for assist or Bluetooth (with a phone cradle)

Sirius needs a sirius antenna, but most people mount those on the rear deck insdie their car, so it can't be seen. the Nav antenna goes under the bumper...

Attachments

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sna77 said:
Shark fin can only be used for assist or Bluetooth (with a phone cradle)

Sirius needs a sirius antenna, but most people mount those on the rear deck insdie their car, so it can't be seen. the Nav antenna goes under the bumper...
nice, thanks for that idea with the sirius antenna. if i metallized tint on the back window, will this disrupt the signal? also, i thought the antenna needed to be attached to a fairly large flat area of metal. Is that not the case anymore? (I see this only because when i installed a kenwood aftermarket in my toyota 4runner a couple of years ago, the directions specifically stated this.)

And as far as the nav antenna, it goes under the bumper? really? All the install guides i've seen have it sitting up on the rear deck, a bit further back than where your sirius antenna is. I was kind of curious about what my metallized tint is going to do to it's signal.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You're right... I made a mistake.. GPS is rear deck... They are all tuned for different frequencies so you cant swap them (except Assit and Bluetooth--which are both cell phones, ie same frequency)

·
ex-M couper
1,751 Posts
cambie said:
i see. how about the question of metallic tint affecting gps reception? any guesses on that?
It just might work, because the GPS antenna on my '04 325xiT is under the metal cover on the top of the hatch.
What you could do to test it is to install the GPS antenna temporarily under the glass and then tape some aluminum foil over it. If it still works the tint should work even better.

Yeah, the shark-fin is only a cell-phone antenna. Assist uses it and can share it with another cell phone, but that's all. BTW, if you have Assist you already have a GPS antenna since Assist uses GPS as well as cell phone technology. Again, Assist will share the GPS antenna with nav.

Sorry, but I know nothing about sat radio.

·
Newbie BMW Owner
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob Clevenger said:
It just might work, because the GPS antenna on my '04 325xiT is under the metal cover on the top of the hatch.
What you could do to test it is to install the GPS antenna temporarily under the glass and then tape some aluminum foil over it. If it still works the tint should work even better.

Yeah, the shark-fin is only a cell-phone antenna. Assist uses it and can share it with another cell phone, but that's all. BTW, if you have Assist you already have a GPS antenna since Assist uses GPS as well as cell phone technology. Again, Assist will share the GPS antenna with nav.

Sorry, but I know nothing about sat radio.
so what do i need to do to attach my gps system to the assist antenna?

I don't want to add another antenna to my car, so i'd rather use anything that's already there. quite frankly, i think the shark fin is pretty ugly too, and find it hilarious that people actually buy this thing as a fake just to make it look like they've got some sort of system in their car that needs it.

from the other guy's post, it sounded like i was going to just have to use a dedicated antenna for the gps system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.