1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dinan-Powered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some info for you guys from Jimmy C.

Originally Posted by lndshrk
OK, so I'll admit you all were waiting for a Shark Injector for a 335i - and
I sort of let you think that was going to be intro'd today.

It wasn't.

What was is better - IMNSHO

Today we introduced "Shark Edit"

Shark Edit is a ECU editor software that will allow YOU to tune your own 335i.

(or M3, or M5, or 745, or X5.. you get the picture
)

Why did I release this.

Because some of you want to tune your car to different boost levels and
different combinations of hardware parts.

We will be releasing the OBD-I version of this software to sale on 01 JUN 08
and the OBD-II version (aka 335i) on 01 JUL 08.

We will package it both alone, and with a "base tune".

You can calibrate your car to your desired boost level and flash it back
in the convenience of your own home/garage.

You can flash back the stock info at your convenience.

I'd love to talk more about it - but to be honest - I'm starving and I'm going
to go w/ my friends and grab some FOOD.

I'll be home tomorrow evening and will be back in the saddle Monday.

For those who were not there - you can see the "glossy" that was
available at Bimmerfest 2008 in a hidden directory on my website.

Located at: http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/sharkedt/

Enjoy - and those who are here - come to Q's tonite at 9

Jim

Quote:
*******> ********>*******>********>*******>********>
Since everyone is asking, and I'm just back to the hotel room from the
show after a day of chatting w/ friends new and old.. here's the scoop.

On everything... first about what BMW is doing.

As of Progman v29.2 - BMW is updating MSD80 to attempt to limit the
torque output of a "piggybacked" car to 400 nm - please note I said "attempt"
to limit - because I don't want to get into arguments on the internet.

400nm = 300 lb-ft

This part you already know, right?

OK - here is what you DONT know. Presence of these piggyback units on
MSD81 is going to set a "hidden" fault code. Neither the number of this
code nor the name of the code is important.

You can just call this code "Warranty Gone"

It says that you had (note, not HAVE, but HAD) a piggyback on your car
at some point.

Per their bulletin - you get no nachos.

I'm not doing anything here other that combining what many of you already
know - with what I have known for months.

MSD81 - cars with this are just hitting dealerships - I'll worry about it after
I tune my new M3 (sorry guys - but -
)

Euro cars - of course - you'll see why in a minute.

What I introduced - see next post

*******> ********>
BTW, this doesn't mean we aren't releasing an S.I. for the 335i. We are.

But I think more of YOU guys will benefit from Shark Edit.

Gives you more control for the same - or less price.

Win/Win

Ciao - food awaits a hungry shark!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Screw the dealer. I'm not letting them update my Progman (I hope I have some say in that).

Shark Edit sounds extremely tempting, but I'm wary of tuning my own boost levels and AF ratios with little knowledge and NO previous FI tuning experience.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There will be so many competing tunes available via the Shark Injector that few 335 owners will try and play with the programming. Pirated versions of all major tunes -- Dinan etc. -- could be online for those with such tastes. [edit: Jim says his tool will not allow software theft -- hurrah!]

This is a very interesting challenge for BMW AG.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
Screw the dealer. I'm not letting them update my Progman (I hope I have some say in that).

Shark Edit sounds extremely tempting, but I'm wary of tuning my own boost levels and AF ratios with little knowledge and NO previous FI tuning experience.
you might not have a say-- bmw can/will update the DME as well as other modules in the car as part of troubleshooting/maintenance. IIRC, progman is more than just the DME program, it affects the other modules in the car as well.
what would your reason for declining the update be?

i suspect this could cause problems-- you go in for a problem to be fixed, they tell you they cant diagnose/fix without updating your car to the latest progman version.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts

Doubt it, beginning of the end of the piggyback. Hope piggyback makers have other stuff to put the food on the table.

you might not have a say-- bmw can/will update the DME as well as other modules in the car as part of troubleshooting/maintenance. IIRC, progman is more than just the DME program, it affects the other modules in the car as well.
what would your reason for declining the update be?

i suspect this could cause problems-- you go in for a problem to be fixed, they tell you they cant diagnose/fix without updating your car to the latest progman version.
+1, simple algorithm that was finally introduced to detect.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
Doubt it, beginning of the end of the piggyback. Hope piggyback makers have other stuff to put the food on the table.

+1, simple algorithm that was finally introduced to detect.
so many ways they could do this, injector pulse width, duty cycles of various components. i suspect the new ECU also has checks for the impedance of certain key circuits, which would explain why they needed new hardware.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hey guys,

I read Jim C's comments on the new tuner protection and I'm in no place to say he is wrong. But his account is certainly not consistent with what we've been seeing.

For example he said that the code is hidden from dealers and only sent to BMW headquarters. Yet I have a datalog from dealer software clearly showing one of the codes (2D25). Neither have I seen an example of v80 progmans limiting torque. Only the v81. :skeptic

FYI the check is on injector PW and the JB1 is verified not detectable, JB2 will be shortly. There is room in there for 30-40rwhp. And there are some holes in the new protection... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could someone please explain if the newer feared version of progman requires different hardware than earlier versions and if there's a way to tell what version of software your car is running without asking the dealer?

i.e., can/will an earlier car be upgraded with the new software or is that update limited to cars with a physically different ECU?

Or am I not understanding this correctly?

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Could someone please explain if the newer feared version of progman requires different hardware than earlier versions and if there's a way to tell what version of software your car is running without asking the dealer?

i.e., can/will an earlier car be upgraded with the new software or is that update limited to cars with a physically different ECU?

Or am I not understanding this correctly?
All 335i's will be able to take the new software, it has nothing to do w/ the hardware involved. The different ECU will just make the new cars UNABLE to be piggybacked. The software is for detection of ECU manipulation via piggyback.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
All 335i's will be able to take the new software, it has nothing to do w/ the hardware involved. The different ECU will just make the new cars UNABLE to be piggybacked. The software is for detection of ECU manipulation via piggyback.
That isn't true... We have quite a few JB1s running around on v81 DMEs without triggering the hidden code. The issue is staying under the injector pulsewidth limits.

As far as flashing earlier DMEs with tuner protection, its possible, but not yet verified.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts