BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 X5 E70 w/90K+ miles

so my vehicle threw CEL P0676: Cylinder 6 glow plug circuit/open few weeks back. i used it daily till now and had the time to go in and replace the plug as well as clean up the intake system carbon build up. i figured i'd do all 6 plugs & replace the gaskets as a preventative maintenance.

so last night i started at cylinder 1 and found that the tip of the glow plug electrode, below the collar, sheared off when i broke the plug loose.

i am looking at options and would really appreciate any direction. i was about to order a glow plug removal kit but decided to consult the forum first as the tips of the plugs are ceramic i am not certain extraction by tapping and pulling is possible. also the directions i have found for this process generally show much more of the plug body &/or electrode remaining in the GP hole.

thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,295 Posts
Cant help on the specific question, but you should consider a glow plug controller as well- something about the plug takes out the controller when they fail. Search will help.

GL

Sry to hear

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,248 Posts
Yeah, no hits, I've been driving diesel for 20 years and this it the first I've heard of this. Please keep us/me informed. Best wishes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant help on the specific question, but you should consider a glow plug controller as well- something about the plug takes out the controller when they fail. Search will help.

GL

Sry to hear
thanks for the heads up (& the pity).

i watched a guy on you tube work out a stuck glow plug electrode with a pair of needle nose vise grips... and a hammer. he pinched the electrode and tapped it forward slightly, pulled it back and continued in this manner until it came out. he had a good bit more of the electrode to work with than i though, it was actually above the engine block some.

i guess i'll consider it. will have to watch the threads though, but there are solutions to that. pending on how this works out i'll have to really think about the approach to the other five!

·
Nuclear engineer
18,248 Posts
I'm ex-Navy where PM's are a big deal. I was trying to recall the meaning of the initialism 'PM', was it Preventative Maintenance or Planned Maintenance?

In this case, the Preemptive Maintenance falls into the category of 'Don't fix it if it ain't broke lest one fix until broke'. As I said, I wish you the very best and hope that I never face this dilemma.

Imagine if this had happened at the dealership, what would the consequences be, how would they deflect liability?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, no hits, I've been driving diesel for 20 years and this it the first I've heard of this. Please keep us/me informed. Best wishes.
A few years back I replaced all of the glowplugs on my Powerstroke 7.3. While searching around for tips/pitfalls it appeared that this happened from time to time due to failed relays or use of cheap replacement glowplugs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm ex-Navy where PM's are a big deal. I was trying to recall the meaning of the initialism 'PM', was it Preventative Maintenance or Planned Maintenance?

In this case, the Preemptive Maintenance falls into the category of 'Don't fix it if it ain't broke lest one fix until broke'. As I said, I wish you the very best and hope that I never face this dilemma.

Imagine if this had happened at the dealership, what would the consequences be, how would they deflect liability?
indeed. hind sight... i haven't even tried to take out the bad cylinder 1 plug! my luck it comes out free and easy.

i do see quite a few posts regarding PG failure (on different diesel forums) suggesting that when one fails, more are likely to follow.

·
Registered
741 Posts
didn't think removing the plugs would be problematic.
Actually there is always a danger of breaking glow plugs as these are so fragile ceramic plugs.You should have removed it when the engine was fully warmed up.
That's why BMW service document specifically says

"Note:
Bring the engine to operating temperature for easier removal of the glow elements. In addition, spray the glow elements with the removal agent 5.1 and let sit for about 2 minutes. If glow elements are removed from a cold engine, the thread in the cylinder head may be damaged."

Hopefully you will be able to remove it with the tool.good luck.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,248 Posts
May we, can we, have access to that "BMW service document?"

Seeing the recommended prerequisite to NOT suggests that it is a differential thermal expansion between the aluminum head and steel GP body. Is an anti-seize recommended on replacement?

What might Removal Agent 5.1 be?

·
Registered
741 Posts
May we, can we, have access to that "BMW service document?"

Seeing the recommended prerequisite to NOT suggests that it is a differential thermal expansion between the aluminum head and steel GP body. Is an anti-seize recommended on replacement?

What might Removal Agent 5.1 be?
Sure.I have attached it.Yes it must be due to thermal expansion issue.

It says that Removal Agent 5.1 is Brunox lubricating grease.But any penetrating spray should work.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
18,248 Posts
Sure.I have attached it.Yes it must be due to thermal expansion issue. It says that Removal Agent 5.1 is Brunox lubricating grease.But any penetrating spray should work.
http://www.brunox.com/website/productpages/Turbo-Spray-en.html

Thank you very much! I am an HPV recumbent tricyclist and shooter, so I'll look at those products too.

And thanks for the PDF, the second performance (D for 'do' paragraph) instruction includes the note to drill out 9.5 mm OD X 20 mm deep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts