BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to man up and admit I was TOTALLY wrong about this stuff. I never believed it to be any different than Gulf or sonoco or Texaco..ect 93 octane. But Ive been using this stuff for the last 2 weeks now (only cause I was given a gift card) and maybe its somehow a coincidence, but my car is running much better, especially cold starting. Ive never had trouble getting it started, she fires right up even at 5 below, but she sounds smoother and more quiet then ever before, and I havent done anything else that could have affected it. Getting on the highway....she is quicker I know it. Anyone else notice a difference with it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
V-power's only difference from any other 93 octane gasoline is that it contains detergents that are allegedly intended to cleanse the fuel delivery system. There is no power difference. You should try 98, 100, and 105 octane fuel they commonly sell in Continental Europe and the UK. Now that makes a noticeable difference, especially in high compression engines.

·
Registered
391 Posts
V-power's only difference from any other 93 octane gasoline is that it contains detergents that are allegedly intended to cleanse the fuel delivery system. There is no power difference. You should try 98, 100, and 105 octane fuel they commonly sell in Continental Europe and the UK. Now that makes a noticeable difference, especially in high compression engines.
yea i always wanted to try that but where can you get that kinda stuff?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone tried 76? Thay have that high octane racing fuel i think its 100 or 105 octane. i havnt tried it, I was thinking of trying though, maybe once my car is all bandaged up from the accident. I use chevron supreme in my 540i, is shell V-power better than chevron with techron?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used to be a die-hard chevron with techron supporter until I absolutely had to use Mobil gasoline. What a difference!

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
Do they have put in any special additives in Costco Gas?
No, but it doesnt mean that it's bad gas.
Same with QT. Isnt there like some gel you can put in your tank thats like jet/race/rocket fuel or whatever? lol

I put 89 in my 530 and it runs fine. There really is no difference between it and 91.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
There is a place where I could get this type of gas but would it have any adverse effects on the engine? Having such high octane.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
It's disappointing to see this on such a knowledgeable forum.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Measurement_methods said:
Wikipedia[/url]]In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane rating, shown on the pump, is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91-92 in Europe.
Furthermore, high octane gasoline doesn't have more power, but a high-compression engine (like that in a car that requests 91 AKI) will be able to adjust the timing so that the fuel is used more efficiently. So the observed smoothness and cold starting is about the limit of what you'll realistically expect from the car.

All fuels (at least in the US) contain detergents in accordance with various regulations. Top Tier is what we BMW drivers should look for, see here: Top Tier Gas

For more information about the information and disinformation about fuel, additives, octane ratings and the rest, see here: The Car Bible

·
Registered
790 Posts
Touline. +1 ^.^ No, but seriously, a lot of the gas stations I remember in north carolina had better octane ratings, and you could get "Race" Fuel there. I remember once in a while we'd put it in one of the Turbo'ed cars we had for a day of spirited driving. Was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
540's and 530's don't have high compression engines, so makes little difference to use a higher octane gasoline than the standard 92-93 commonly found.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is none of that substitute crap in v power, ethanol or whatever. Anything over 93 is not going to make your motor run better in normal driving, your mistake there. I might dyno my car on shell, and then something else to see whats up. The motor is defenetly running better right now than it was before I used shell.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Im going to man up and admit I was TOTALLY wrong about this stuff. I never believed it to be any different than Gulf or sonoco or Texaco..ect 93 octane. But Ive been using this stuff for the last 2 weeks now (only cause I was given a gift card) and maybe its somehow a coincidence, but my car is running much better, especially cold starting. Ive never had trouble getting it started, she fires right up even at 5 below, but she sounds smoother and more quiet then ever before, and I havent done anything else that could have affected it. Getting on the highway....she is quicker I know it. Anyone else notice a difference with it?
I`m will never use SHELL V-POWER Only because in Florida they all have UP 10% ETHANOL!! and I`m always use MOBIL because they put less 10%!
and I`m hope I`m right in this one:dunno:

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
I know that in Ontario there is a legal requirement to have an average of 5% ethanol in all fuel sold. Finding the right fuel for boats and other toys is a right pain in the ass. Shell is the only one that I know of that doesn't put the **** in. Hurts the environment and cuts mileage. Bah.

There is a minimum EPA-required amount of detergent ingredients in all gasoline but the good stuff is really the good stuff.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Sunoco by me sells 105 octane. bikers use it but for average cars, it's not very useful. if i had a turbo, i would put some in but for NA motors... really, doesn't do much. it's all psychosomatic.

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
Sunoco by me sells 105 octane. bikers use it but for average cars, it's not very useful. if i had a turbo, i would put some in but for NA motors... really, doesn't do much. it's all psychosomatic.[/QUOTE]

Big word alert!!!!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I`m will never use SHELL V-POWER Only because in Florida they all have UP 10% ETHANOL!! and I`m always use MOBIL because they put less 10%!
and I`m hope I`m right in this one:dunno:
yup, i agree.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts