BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's been a long month but finally she's coming back home on Monday...

First it went in for stone chip repairs on the hood, and fenders, then we found some rust on the inside of the doors, so that got repaired, then the trunk lid showed a bubble or two, so that go repaired, then decided to go for M5 treatment so got mirros, and front bumpers (thanx umnitza). The car's been sitting curing for almost 2 1/2 weeks so the wet sand polish should come out really deep and shiny. Will take some nice outdoor pics on Monday. Then we decided to get the wheels refinished as the original paint was chipping, there was some curb rash, etc..

This is the car after we repaired most of the nics, scratches and rust spots...

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is the car last week with the wheels just refinished...

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
and today....

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Beautiful :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
looks good!!! looking forward to close up pics .. Looks like you really smoothed out the fenders and hood .. you wont see the OEM orange peel paint anymore ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Details please...

LOOKING GOOD!!!

How much did the paint run you. Been thinking about it for mine, hood/front bumper primarily. I'm also a little hesitant to touch the orig paint too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks guys for the comments.

Kaptom - She hasn't been buffed yet. That was just after the water sand and compound. Glaze and wax is on Monday. I'm trying to hook up with a friend from a local board who does photoshoots for Monday evening. We'll see how that turns out.

aarijk - The paint job went roughly $1100, mostly because it was a gesture of friendship. I had brought well over $20K worth of business to this shop. The wheels were included in the price. The bumper ran me $490 and the mirrors around $220. I was trying to find a rear M5 bumper cover but no such luck.

Monday after the glaze he's also throwing in the 3M invisishield on the hood and fenders for me.

Seeing the car looking this good again has rekindled the fire in me to embark on the quest for 500. I just hope the wife won't have a hard time with it...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I didn't look at your time frames but I would wait about 30-45 days from the time it was painted before you put any wax on it as well as installing the 3M clear stuff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They've been in the business more than 20 years and all you see in their garage is porsches, vipers, bmw, merc. I trust them entirely. They always polish the cars before they leave the garage. I assume it means glaze and wax also.

Can you elaborate on the waiting for the 3M shield? Is it for the paint to cure properly? It's been sitting now going on its 3rd week in the garage since being painted.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
very nice transformation! Congrats, Looking forward to more pics in the sunlight!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts