BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new ZHP shift knob...Thanks Tischer!
Does anyone have a link to instructions explaining how to pop the old one off, and put the new one on? I searched the E46 forum and didn't find anything.
Thanks!

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
I like the "sit in the drivers seat with your right leg in the passenger seat" method myself. I get great leverage this way by laying my arm over my right thigh :thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe you'll be lucky enough that your existing one is broken. They come off real easy in that case. I test drove a 6spd ZHP just today and the darn thing came right off. I look underneath and, sure enough, two of the plastic tabs that hold it onto the stick are broken. That salesman sure was embarrassed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
put it in 4th gear, sit on the center armrest with your legs essentially straddling the gear shift. Then with both hands, pull *straight up* in the direction of the gear lever. No twisting, no angulation, no torquing..

·
The Ultimate Übermensch
1,023 Posts
I recommend wearing a hockey cup to protect the groin. With gear shift in 2nd or 4th, position yourself on the center console, left foot planted on floor of driver side and right foot passenger side for leverage. Be careful, this is dangerous. Pull knob toward you using both hands. Knob will pop off when the amount of pulling force is sufficient and when that happens, the top of the knob will inevitably hit your crotch like a missile, then the rest of your body will propel itself into the backseat. You are now ready to install the new shift knob. Good luck and welcome to Bimmerfest.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha...this is hilarious. :rofl: I'm just going to put all of my hockey gear on and give it hell. I'll let you know if any serious injuries insue.

·
Registered
597 Posts
lols. yeah you gotta pull pretty hard. you know when you're really exerting yourself and you start to shake a bit cause you're pulling so hard? I was like that. and i'm not weak either so don't call me out haha

·
Registered
466 Posts
Today I was taking my mail box key out of the sunglasses compartment and it slipped down into the crack between the astray and centerconsole.... So I tried to take the shift knob off and I twisted it off b/c I did know that you were supposed to just pull up... well The two tabs were broken.... So does anyone know that part number for the little black plastic piece inside the shift knob???

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Today I was taking my mail box key out of the sunglasses compartment and it slipped down into the crack between the astray and centerconsole.... So I tried to take the shift knob off and I twisted it off b/c I did know that you were supposed to just pull up... well The two tabs were broken.... So does anyone know that part number for the little black plastic piece inside the shift knob???
Those plastic pieces are part of the knob, probably don't get sold separately. Looks like its time for a new shift knob, I recommend the zhp style from tischer, you can't go wrong especially for that price. Got mine n 5 days and I live in Canada, great service!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Those plastic pieces are part of the knob, probably don't get sold separately. Looks like its time for a new shift knob, I recommend the zhp style from tischer, you can't go wrong especially for that price. Got mine n 5 days and I live in Canada, great service!
What was that part number for the one you have? And do you have a pic of what it looks like?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just did mine. Nearly lost a tooth... Stupid over engineered shift knob.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts