BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i was wondering if there was a heavier version of the BMW shift knob or there was any way to mod it to have a little more mass. maybe its because its my first bimmer, but i'm partial to the stock knob look. i've been looking into CF ones, but i'd assume those are really light. so ideally i'd like a stock knob with more mass. esp right now when i dont have the ssk, i think a heavier knob (esp regarding posts from ppl who have changed to rob knob etc) would make shifting feel better. thanks.
 
G

·
eugeneDC/TX said:
hey all, i was wondering if there was a heavier version of the BMW shift knob or there was any way to mod it to have a little more mass. maybe its because its my first bimmer, but i'm partial to the stock knob look. i've been looking into CF ones, but i'd assume those are really light. so ideally i'd like a stock knob with more mass. esp right now when i dont have the ssk, i think a heavier knob (esp regarding posts from ppl who have changed to rob knob etc) would make shifting feel better. thanks.
If you get a UUC Rob Know and use the OEM inserts, it looks like something that *could* be stock. Really.

Go to my old 330i pic page and see what I mean- http://www.geocities.com/td304/BMW or http://www.geocities.com/ctd_1/BMW/
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Re: TD only your exterior pics loaded but

eugeneDC/TX said:
i like the rob knob and all, but i dunno, for no particular or logical reason i like my leather knob. any other alternatives? thanks for the help
BMW makes a stock shift knob that is aluminum in the center and leather on the outside that is significantly shorter and heavier than the OEM knob...Look in the accessory catalog and it should list it.
 

·
Rest in peace, Coach
Joined
·
9,106 Posts
Yep, that's the one...

As far as the different prices...You'd have to call them and find out. Can't really help on that end.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Hey Eugene, long time no see. How have you been? You enjoying Texas? If you want something more heavy and want to retain the oem look, you should also consider the matte chrome version (or brushed aluminum). It does fry your hand in the summer and give you the chills in the winter, but I like the feel much more than the standard leather, which is way too light for me. Or you could put a ssk in there and make it feel heavier:lmao: . Here's a picture of my shift knob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

things are good here in TX almost done with my masters. going to law school in august. i DO want to retain OEM, but i want leather. although your shift knob does look nice. i think the leather wrapped alum one reference above is my best bet... how's school and what not for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Re: KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

eugeneDC/TX said:
things are good here in TX almost done with my masters. going to law school in august. i DO want to retain OEM, but i want leather. although your shift knob does look nice. i think the leather wrapped alum one reference above is my best bet... how's school and what not for you?
I'm doing ok, still have one more year left, then planning on dental school. Masters almost done huh? Lucky you. Where are you going for law school? My brother is thinking about going as well within the next two years. Best of luck to you. Car doing you well? I've already got 20k :yikes: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

KP said:
I've already got 20k :yikes: .
damn KP, i thought i was killin it with 19+, almost 20. when did you pick up your car. in 2 days, i'll be 1 year with my car. 1 year, lets see. 3 replacement aux fans. 2 windshields. 1 rim, 1 tire. e-brake replaced. front bumper repainted. four dings. 2 scratches. but driving is fun as hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Re: Re: Re: KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

eugeneDC/TX said:


damn KP, i thought i was killin it with 19+, almost 20. when did you pick up your car. in 2 days, i'll be 1 year with my car. 1 year, lets see. 3 replacement aux fans. 2 windshields. 1 rim, 1 tire. e-brake replaced. front bumper repainted. four dings. 2 scratches. but driving is fun as hell.
:yikes: you beat me. I had 19100 on Apr. 4th, exactly one year from the date of pickup. I'm really trying to save some miles this year, and am looking into a cheap car for a beater. I've had 2 aux fans, 1 hood repainted 23 times:( , but looks like you had my share of pain as well. Things settling down now that you're in TX? I'd imagine the majority of that stuff happened in dc:eeps:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

KP said:


:yikes: you beat me. I had 19100 on Apr. 4th, exactly one year from the date of pickup. I'm really trying to save some miles this year, and am looking into a cheap car for a beater. I've had 2 aux fans, 1 hood repainted 23 times:( , but looks like you had my share of pain as well. Things settling down now that you're in TX? I'd imagine the majority of that stuff happened in dc:eeps:
23 paint jobs? what for? i am going to touch up my chips as soon as the semester is over. at any rate, texas is good. glad to be closer to home to watch out for my folks. the majority of the probs happened here actually. only had my car in DC for a month or so... oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: KP about damn time you made the trek to the Fest

eugeneDC/TX said:


23 paint jobs? what for? i am going to touch up my chips as soon as the semester is over. at any rate, texas is good. glad to be closer to home to watch out for my folks. the majority of the probs happened here actually. only had my car in DC for a month or so... oh well.
The dealer put a 1" scratch on the hood after I told them not to wash it, so it went to the bodyshop, where it remained there for a month:bawling: , and they just dastardized my hood. It hasn't looked the same since:cry:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top