BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The shift lever detents in my 1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster are worn out, so I'm told from the symptoms. The lever frequently "rests" on the 5th gear side of the pattern, rather than dead center below 3rd gear. At first I thought it was a problem with the short shifter I have in the car, but I'm told the detent mechanism wears out and is a common problem on transmissions of the design for BMWs in my year range.

I'm planning to pull the transmission out and tackle the repair myself, armed with some advice from a friendly vendor and a little experience pulling a Porsche 944 clutch/transmission. Does anyone have any further advice to offer? I'd enjoy seeing a list of parts to order in advance.

Lastly, does anyone know a reliable source for a service manual I've heard is available on CD? It's called a TIS CD, and I've heard it is possibly available for free, but I'll be happy to pay appropriately for it.

Should I have posted this in a more general forum?

Best regards, Gary.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
ETK/TIS are often listed on Ebay, sometimes as low as $5.00

Your transmission needs the shift pin kit for 5th/reverse, and the lever will again align itself to the center slot. While it's out, do the shift pin kits for 1st/2nd too.

Do a search for shift pins, and you'll get all the information you need. Unfortunately, you won't see any of the pictures I've posted of the jobs I've done (including a 97 2.8 trans last weekend) until my server gets back online.

·
Instructor of the Stig™
7,237 Posts
The shift lever detents in my 1998 Z3 2.8L Roadster are worn out, so I'm told from the symptoms. The lever frequently "rests" on the 5th gear side of the pattern, rather than dead center below 3rd gear. At first I thought it was a problem with the short shifter I have in the car, but I'm told the detent mechanism wears out and is a common problem on transmissions of the design for BMWs in my year range.

I'm planning to pull the transmission out and tackle the repair myself, armed with some advice from a friendly vendor and a little experience pulling a Porsche 944 clutch/transmission. Does anyone have any further advice to offer? I'd enjoy seeing a list of parts to order in advance.

Lastly, does anyone know a reliable source for a service manual I've heard is available on CD? It's called a TIS CD, and I've heard it is possibly available for free, but I'll be happy to pay appropriately for it.

Should I have posted this in a more general forum?

Best regards, Gary.
Something you might want to consider while your in there...
Teflon Shifter Bushing Kit
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-Z3-2.8-M52_2.8L/Drivetrain/Shifter/?utm_source=bimmerfest&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

I've done this on my E46 330i, E30 325is, and my E36 M. Made a wolrd of difference!

Hope that helps!

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts