BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shifter in my '02 525i 5 speed makes somewhat of a slapping noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd, even when a nice easy shift. Is this a common issue? I cannot find anything on it by doing a search. It's kind of hard to describe but it sounds like something slapping the bottom of the shifter boot when it's pulled into 2nd. Only does it from 1st to 2nd and never from 3rd down to 2nd, and I think it may happen more often when cold but not positive on that.

One other thing is that it does have an 'M' shifter knob on it, maybe that knob is slightly different length and puts the shifter boot in contact with the shifting rods? I really need to find some time to take it apart and check it out but i haven't found the extra time yet. It doesn't sound like a serious problem, more of an annoyance and something that's just not quite right. Anybody have similar problem or any ideas?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
BMW`s manuals have a HUGE gap between first & second gears, where RPMs drop by around 43%.... pretty much like falling off a cliff, and making the one-to-two shift less than smooth unless you experiment with shift points, and find a spot that`s compatible for you. The "clunk" that accompanies the 1-2 shift is pretty typical.
You might try changing the trans fluid to a 50/50 mix of Redline ATF and MTL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.