BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004 bmw x3 2.5i and it shifts but does not move in any gear. The dash shows that its shifting gear and I can hear it grinding when it tries to go back into park but it wont move. It starts and runs fine. I've changed the transmission fluid and nothing changed what else can I do before having to replace the entire transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,931 Posts
I recently bought a 2004 bmw x3 2.5i and it shifts but does not move in any gear. The dash shows that its shifting gear and I can hear it grinding when it tries to go back into park but it wont move. It starts and runs fine. I've changed the transmission fluid and nothing changed what else can I do before having to replace the entire transmission?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bimmerfest mobile app

Have an assistant see if any driveshafts are turning. If not, it’s a transmission issue.

Verify that the fluid level is correct. If you simply pumped in fluid until it ran out the fill whole, engine off, it is quite under-filled and won’t move (there’s not enough fluid in the TC).

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,519 Posts
MoneyHole... (that's funny) Have you found a solution yet...interesting, can you say what led up to this shifting or non shifting event...it hasn't been this way from the start?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a new Durango do this to me exactly. 45,000 miles when it happened. I was towing within its weight going up an entry ramp under load to the express way and its like it just went into neutral. Ended up being a shaft that comes out of the transmission through the torque converter if I remember right. Mechanic told me the end of the shaft sheared right off...ground or broke all the teeth or gears off the end. Im saying a prayer for you Money that yours is something electronic or something else.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,519 Posts
I had a new Durango do this to me exactly. 45,000 miles when it happened. I was towing within its weight going up an entry ramp under load to the express way and its like it just went into neutral. Ended up being a shaft that comes out of the transmission through the torque converter if I remember right. Mechanic told me the end of the shaft sheared right off...ground or broke all the teeth or gears off the end. Im saying a prayer for you Money that yours is something electronic or something else.
I think your problem is due to a more simpler issue...has you or anyone else been under the car...of course the car has not moved when this happened, ,,right?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts