BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Road Goober
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOOOO im driving around in my new 2005 325i w/ prem and sport pack, and im shifting as normal. One problem. Shifts from 2-3 will stick in the upper fork sometimes and its annoying as hell. Im not driving agressive (heh, most of the time) This happens to be my second MANUAL tranny car and i don't recall having this problem on my old 300zxTT. HOWEVER, I have noticed that the shifter is a wee bit too loose for my liking and perhaps this is why. I remember replacing the shifter bushings on my old car and that almost nullified the play room in the shifter. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,687 Posts
Do you mean you're hitting the gate instead of the lever going up into 3, like the shifter is not moving to the center plane position all the way? I haven't noticed that on my 330i (non-ZSP). I've got about 1700 miles on my car and I had noticed that going into 4th was a bit stiff at times and it took a little extra effort compared to other shifts. It seems that is not as much an issue now, so it's either loosened up a bit or I'm used to it.

·
Road Goober
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah pretty much. I imagine the shifting console underneath to be an H (1st being top left). when moving from 2nd bottom left to 3rd top right it will sometimes stick in the separation between 1st and 3rd. Essentially its not snapping into neutral enough to allow me to just push the shifter up into 3rd from 2nd. Its too loose...will a non factory shifter or bushings help to make the central location (neutral) less loose?

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,687 Posts
Nic3quik said:
Yeah pretty much. I imagine the shifting console underneath to be an H (1st being top left). when moving from 2nd bottom left to 3rd top right it will sometimes stick in the separation between 1st and 3rd. Essentially its not snapping into neutral enough to allow me to just push the shifter up into 3rd from 2nd. Its too loose...will a non factory shifter or bushings help to make the central location (neutral) less loose?
I don't really know anything about bushings, etc, but if you think it's acting a way it shouldn't I would suggest letting your dealer take a look. You shouldn't be having a problem with the feel in neutral, so I'd try that before changing anything. Should be a warranty issue if something is wrong. Just my $.02.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Nic3quik said:
Some shifter gates are closer than others. You may be used to how the 300Z's shift patterns and not quite so used to BMWs. Try a slight pause from 2nd to 3rd and let it rest in neutral before going into 3rd.

This link has been tremendously helpful to me:

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you even suspect that there's something amiss with your shifter, I'd get the dealer to take a look and document it first--especially if you're thinking of getting an aftermarket short shift kit. You don't want the dealer refusing warranty service if you put in an SSK and the problem continues to manifest itself.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you move the shifter into neutral first and let it "reset" it'll glide into 3rd. If you use an open palm and assist the shifter instead of pushing it with force, the problem won't even exist. I noticed it got "stuck" too..sometimes.. when I tried to grip it and push it in.. I would then lose the revs and would need a blip and do it again which is annoying.

Use a lighter grip or open palm it into 3rd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.