BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for better fuel economy. I can kill a tank of gas if I am shifting above 3000 rpm but it doesn't feel right if I shift lower ( 2400 rpm) as the manual suggests to get better milage. Also which is better for tranny life?
Thanks - 1st time owner - car is cpo and have had it for 1 mo.

·
Registered
985 Posts
To maximize mpg, shift early 2000 to 2500 rpm and use a light throttle. Unfortunately, the AWD reduces efficiency. For non-turbo cars it is more efficient to use the lowest rpm possible and use wider ( or full) throttle openings but with turbos this does not work as well since the turbo will pump more air into the engine under these conditions. .....more air=more fuel. ( remember, your right foot controls air into the engine, not the fuel.... the cpu does that)

On the highway, I generally leave it in 6th and use the throttle/turbos to add power. I rarely downshift unless needing strong acceleration. This tends to lead to a bit higher mpg. My car approaches 30mpg on the highway at 65 mph. I average about 24 mpg overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lots of things to do/avoid. Start by trying a web search on "hypermiling". It's becoming quite an art these days with higher oil prices. Not just for Prions any more.

The biggest benefit is probably from avoiding strong acceleration at any rpm. However, hard acceleration at low rpm is especially bad.
Drive at a constant speed whenever possible.
Don't brake. Begin reducing speed by engine braking as early as possible when you know you'll have to stop ahead. Your fuel system will cut off fuel to your engine.
Keep your temper and your patience with other drivers. Resist the urge to have fun in the twisties.
The more I write, the more depressed I get....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts