BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Shifting problems in 2001 S54

998 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MDork
I'm bringing my S54 into the dealer tomorrow to have the clutch bled and the transmission looked at. At HC 2004, Randy was nice enough to install a short shift kit with the delrin bushings. I had hoped that the kit would help the "notchiness" of shifting, as it has gotten worse over time.

I have had Randy, Al and Ron, Than and Vance drive my car and everyone tells me the same thing...that theirs shifts smoother than mine does. I actually had to put the factory clutch stop back in because I have cut Ron's so short that there was only about 3/8" left on the threads! I had the dealer (another dealer) bleed the clutch before HC last year, but either they did not do it right, or something else is wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Could there be something wrong with the transmission?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38242&highlight=clutch+bleed

bmargolis said:
I'm bringing my S54 into the dealer tomorrow to have the clutch bled and the transmission looked at. At HC 2004, Randy was nice enough to install a short shift kit with the delrin bushings. I had hoped that the kit would help the "notchiness" of shifting, as it has gotten worse over time.

I have had Randy, Al and Ron, Than and Vance drive my car and everyone tells me the same thing...that theirs shifts smoother than mine does. I actually had to put the factory clutch stop back in because I have cut Ron's so short that there was only about 3/8" left on the threads! I had the dealer (another dealer) bleed the clutch before HC last year, but either they did not do it right, or something else is wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Could there be something wrong with the transmission?
Follow-up

OK, so the schedule got all screwed up with my travel etc. I finally picked up the Roadster today, nearly a month after was originally planned.

The dealer used a "power bleeder" (their term) on the clutch and changed out all of the fluid. The car again shifts like it did when it was new. The clutch releases far higher than it did when I brought it in and all seems right again.

just gotta say...I want your mini! nicely done!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.