Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving past the Port of Tacoma yesterday and noticed a Wallenius Wilhelmsen vessel in port. So, I drove through the area to take a look. It was the Elektra. Many cars from Japan and Korea lined up in rows that had already been unloaded. What concerned me was the numbers of cars I saw with extensive damage. One car had the rear window completely smashed in and another both left doors severely dented.
What I want to know is can I obtain a copy of the damage report against my vehicle? I don't want to take possession of a car that's already been in an accident before it's even been delivered. I don't care how good they are at making repairs!

:( :(

Anyone out there wish to share their experiences good and bad?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,319 Posts
mineallmine said:
I was driving past the Port of Tacoma yesterday and noticed a Wallenius Wilhelmsen vessel in port. So, I drove through the area to take a look. It was the Elektra. Many cars from Japan and Korea lined up in rows that had already been unloaded. What concerned me was the numbers of cars I saw with extensive damage. One car had the rear window completely smashed in and another both left doors severely dented.
What I want to know is can I obtain a copy of the damage report against my vehicle? I don't want to take possession of a car that's already been in an accident before it's even been delivered. I don't care how good they are at making repairs!

:( :(

Anyone out there wish to share their experiences good and bad?

Don't worry ~ be HAPPY!

The *only* time that a damage disclosure report gets generated is when there is actual damage. I hate to dispel a popular message board fallacy here, but the infamous "port check" document (as cited on several F.A.Q.'s) simply does not exist... All you have to do is ask to see your dealer's "vehicle availability report". If your car was damaged, there will be a "v" indicating this on the listing, next to the VIN number...

Hope this helps,
--Jon

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Shipping Adventure

Jon Shafer said:
I hate to dispel a popular message board fallacy here, but the infamous "port check" document (as cited on several F.A.Q.'s) simply does not exist...
Hope this helps,
--Jon
Oh sure Jon go ahead and pop every one's bubble.:rolleyes: There was such a piece of mind for us all when our cars got a clean port check:p

Now some of us know what that little "v" means:bawling:

:D

Thankfully no "v" for me

·
Finally Own One
107 Posts
Re: Re: Shipping Adventure

Jon Shafer said:

Don't worry ~ be HAPPY!

The *only* time that a damage disclosure report gets generated is when there is actual damage. I hate to dispel a popular message board fallacy here, but the infamous "port check" document (as cited on several F.A.Q.'s) simply does not exist... All you have to do is ask to see your dealer's "vehicle availability report". If your car was damaged, there will be a "v" indicating this on the listing, next to the VIN number...

Hope this helps,
--Jon
I read somewhere that a damage report must be generated and disclosed to the buyer if the cost of the damage was greater than a certain amount. Maybe $300? Or, this may be dependent on state law and therefore will vary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope I didn't sound too alarmist.
I'm not worried. . . . really.
It was just a little disconcerting to see ALL that damage to other cars at the port.
Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts