BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking to get shocks for my 525i wagon ad the roads where I live are in horrible shape. What is on it now are hard as hell, unforgiving even with the smallest pothole. Any suggestions as to a shock which is not meant so much for doing tight turns, but for a softer ride? thanks.

· Registered
15,976 Posts
OEM level shocks are best. Your rear subframe bushings are bad. They usually go at 60k, and the rear ride is harsh. Normal problem on a wagon.

Are your tires set to the proper pressures?

· Registered
15,976 Posts
Go to www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of your VIN. Get the P/Ns for the shocks and bushings, and search on that. Do you have air suspension?

If you plan to DIY, get a copy of the Bentley E39 service manual.

· Registered
6,964 Posts
Input the p/n into www. furiousmethod dot com for a complete (and I mean complete) listing of online pricing for that part from multiple sources. Many have free shipping on a purchase over $50.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love this place

Great info and even a webpage to assist in buying the things I need. The bushings make great sense as the two mechanics who looked at my car said that the shocks are fine. So bushing hunting I shall go. Now , what about replacing the single disc CD player with something else, or the ten year old radio with something I can plug my laptop into? God I wish Klipsch made car speakers. I'll post some photos of my new old car, but honestly there is nothing special about it at all. I just love it. Know what I mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.