Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is a scam. My local BMW shop adds 10% to a repair bill for 'Shop Supplies'. The max charge is $40. My car is in for a repair today. I got a very poor explanation for the charge; some weasel words about overhead. I'm sure it's all built into the pricing anyway. Toyota/Lexus tries to do the same thing. I don't pay it.

Anybody else experience these charges ??

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Yes, of course. It is a common business practice. You should expect also to see itemized, disposal of toxics (freon, cadmium), cleaning before work, et cetera.

When I wrenched in 1970 most cars went to the wash bay first.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ALL dealerships do that.
I’m a Toyota dealer mechanic and we do in fact have shop supplies charges too. It mostly covers chemical disposal, as well as supplies such as brake cleaner, liquid wrench, lithium grease, gloves, the acetylene+o2 for the torch ... basically stuff us mechanics use when we service the cars. Those are not cheap

Here in the rust belt it’s easy to empty an entire can of liquid wrench and the torch tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,188 Posts
As you say, don't pay it.
But you never had to use rags, cleaners, lubes, top off fluids and the like?
Sounds fairly reasonable to me.
If no one has ever told you, they are in the business to make money.
Would you pay it if it were listed as profit?

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
In the old days; fishing in Northern California we lost a front hub grease seal that soaked the left brake shoes. A tractor repair shop was the only business open on the weekend (mid-Sixties), but he was fascinated by the foreign 4WD Land Rover. Spent eight hours cooking the grease out of the brake shoes and found a grease seal that fit. Charged us $1 - a dollar - for the acetylene, and the eight hours were free for the fun of a different machine. Hat Creek, California.

In the same area and time, maybe not the same trip, we 4WD back roads into a populated wide spot. As we drove Main Street, slowly sightseeing, the gentlemen reached around behind them to get their shotguns and lay them across their laps.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I had a hotel once try to charge me a "waste water treatment fee." They wanted to charge me for taking a **** and a ****. I didn't check in and when to the Hampton Inn across the street.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
The commercial rooms here have long resisted their tax. Most of them use holding tanks, the fee for dumping has just gone up 10X. Historically some vacation homes have pumped their holding tank monthly. When the summer owners return there will be some squealing!

Infrastructure use / expansion / improvement fees will become more obvious. Any money paid to government is just another tax. It used to be a patriotic American***8217;s duty to resist taxation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hotel surcharges never made sense to me. I’m often charged a “lodging fee” on top of the rate and I have no idea what that’s for. Shouldn’t that be part of the listed rate? Some hotels I’ve stayed in have have energy fees and so on too which kinda does makes sense. Then there’s a tourism fee.

Why don’t they just include those fees when they list room rates. It’s kinda annoying when you get a room for $90 at a good hotel, then at checkout they slap you with $50 worth of fees on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Nuclear engineer
17,477 Posts
you get a room for $90 at a good hotel, then at checkout they slap you with $50 worth of fees on top.
Well, Pilgrim, there***8217;s your problem.

Fees and taxes are itemized to show the customer what the retailer deals with.

Once upon a time I did a 1200 mile bicycle trip. In the Ocala Florida Wilderness Area a tire failed and we had to overnight in Starke, Florida, bedroom community to Raiford (now Union) Florida State Prison. We three had been roughing it for so long that we all stayed in one room at the Budget Inn, drawing straws to see who had to sleep on the floor. That was not a ***8220;good hotel***8221;, merely clean and convenient. Very safe there, with great law enforcement presence. Waldo too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$40 supplies ??

The valve cover gasket and plugs were replaced. $40 in supplies ? I guess I could see a disposal fee for the plugs and gasket but supplies ??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why don’t they just include those fees when they list rates.
People shop around for what they think is the best "deal." That is why many businesses separate additional fees from the basic charge. This is especially true now that people can check a published rate easily on the internet.
The airlines have become notoriously guilty of this practice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think this is a scam. My local BMW shop adds 10% to a repair bill for 'Shop Supplies'. The max charge is $40. My car is in for a repair today.
It was a sneaky way to raise charges that started probably back in the '80's. Shops got away with charging more without raising their hourly rate. I remember when it was just a few bucks added on at the end of the bill and was told it was for rags and cleaners.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The valve cover gasket and plugs were replaced. $40 in supplies ? I guess I could see a disposal fee for the plugs and gasket but supplies ??

Depending on how bad the oil leak was maybe they doused it in brake clean.
I once did a VCG on a Mercedes. It was quite a bad leak and I used half a bottle on the engine itself and the under cover to clean the oil spill.
I’m not saying they used that $ amount of brake cleaner alone, but it gives you an idea on the supplies. They probably included electricity and maintenance costs of air compressors and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depending on how bad the oil leak was maybe they doused it in brake clean.
I’m not saying they used that $ amount of brake cleaner alone, but it gives you an idea on the supplies. They probably included electricity and maintenance costs of air compressors and whatnot.
The shop is not claiming that they actually used $40 in "shop supplies" on his particular job. They charge an extra flat rate to everyone: 10% of the bill to a maximum of $40, no matter the actual supplies used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts