BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2008 editions of the Michelin "Red" guides (hotels & restaurants) are out for both Germany and Austria. Here are bits of a review:

Positives:
  • Size is more compact and type is a bit larger than previous editions.
  • Still has brief descriptions. (I was not all that pleased with the simple listings in the 3-series Nav I had in 06.)
  • Still has nice overview maps--which cities and towns have listed places by region, etc.
  • You can carry it with you to find a lunch stop in a city without having to predict perfectly where you'll be.
Negatives:
  • The short descriptions are all in German!
  • The alphabetical listing sometimes has smaller towns listed under the larger one, and the cross-referencing is missing (or I can't find it).
Amazon has these, but they can be almost impossible to find (esp. the Austria volume). Search by ISBN:
Austria: 978-2067133464
Germany: 978-2067129917

·
Driving 'en Plein Air'
2,274 Posts
Recently received my 2008 of France and it is in English. Italy Red Guide version 2008 is in Italian, which I read. It is not available in English.

I have to say that the Michelin web site's (viamichelin.com) is pretty comprehensive and when viewing the map of the region/area you will be visiting, will pop up recommended and rated hotels and restaurants (enable option). I will bring my France red book just in case, but with a little preplanning, the web site may suffice and actually be better for most.

Good review of the Germany and Austria versions B-Y... Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts