BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO my UUC motorworks EVO3 short shifter arrived in the mail the other day. I didn't quite understand the directions, and it sounded pretty hard. I was wondering how complicated it actually is, or if anyone knows of any places in the west la area (or greater la area) that could install it for me.
thanks!!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
The easiest way to do it is on a lift or by jacking the car up.
I jacked the car up and supported the rear of the tranny while I removed the bolts that hold the cross support that holds up the back of the tranny.
You can then lower the tranny a few inches to get your hand up there to disconnect the old shifter parts.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I was able to install a new shifter without lowering the transmission, but it would have been easier to lower it as Jim did. Here's a link to replacing the shift bushings on an e36.

I would think that just about any transmission shop should be able to install a SSK since you have to remove the shifter to lower the transmission and replace the clutch.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just heads up if you also ordered the DSSR from UUC there is a chance it will rub/contact the carrier/aka shifting arm (part #2 in the diagram). It may not be an issue with the 540, but it was with my 530. I called them and asked about it prior to ordering the DSSR and they said that was a problem years ago on the M5s only and it would not be an issue. But when I got my car back after the install I could not get the car into reverse. The fix ending up being to grind down the carrier a couple mm so there was no longer contact.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E39/Sedan/USA/540i-M62/LHD/M/2003/june/browse/gearshift/gearbox_shifting_parts/

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.