BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Short shifter knob

3310 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  bbbuzzy
Hi all. I am looking for options that will replace the tall stock knob on my E92 gear shift. I am not doing the shifter mechanism, just the knob. My car is not an M, so I don't want one with an M on it! The options by BMW seem rather limited. What do you all think? Anybody making nice after market stuff or do I need to stick (pun intended) with OEM? thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
If you are a BMWCCA member, there used to be a guy who advertised in there, he made custom knobs out of exotic woods... You could probably get any height you like! :thumbup:
Hi all. I am looking for options that will replace the tall stock knob on my E92 gear shift. I am not doing the shifter mechanism, just the knob. My car is not an M, so I don't want one with an M on it! The options by BMW seem rather limited. What do you all think? Anybody making nice after market stuff or do I need to stick (pun intended) with OEM? thanks!
Try this.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merch...ct_Code=ZHPSSKnob&Category_Code=E90ShiftKnobs

They offer the ZHP knob without the M logo for $95. I actually bought that one but never installed since I ended up going with the M logo one. I still have it brand new in the box. If you want it it's yours for $60 shipped.

It's a great knob. One of the best upgrades I made for my car.
The ZHP knob without the M logo is certainly an option. I was looking for something with a little more style, something more unique.

I am a BMWCCA member and I seem to remember seeing those wooden knobs pictured somewhere. One that matched my dark gray poplar trim might work. Thank you for that suggestion.

Any other ideas?
I was exactly like you when I got mine in that I also desired not to have the M logo. So I chose that ZHP that Dwight has, and I'd take it at that price for sure. I'll give a pic. (I was showing the visor, but there you go.)

I went to the dealership to check out the BMW short shifter in Alcantara, and I didn't like it. When asking the floor salesman if I could check one out, he directed me to a display where I could play with it, but he first told me he didn't like it, I'm not exactly sure why, but I think he may have said the fabric wears off or something. Anyway, the main reason I didn't get it is because I wasn't crazy about it.

I admit that I expected the ZHP knob to have a little more grip or stickiness to it, but it's relatively smooth on the leather.

Another mftr to look at, particularly for uniqueness, is the Whalen custom knobs. There's a member here who uses it. I do wonder how hot it could get if it's been sitting in the sun. I have no idea how much shorter they might be, however.

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Attachments

Thanks! That picture of yours really helped. I think I might go with the ZHP knob after all. Those Whalen knobs are really cool. I love the round polished chrome, although I don't think it's the right choice for my car. :)

These responses have been helpful and I appreciate the effort, information and thoughts. Thank you.
bought the UUC RK6A

I ended up getting a knob made by UUC, the RK6A height adjustable shift knob, specifically.

I was all set to buy Dwight's ZHP M-less knob (here's a shout-out to Dwight for being a cool guy!), but happened to be at the local dealership yesterday morning and was inquiring about a couple things at the parts counter. Someone in the back heard me asking about knobs and came out to see if I was interested in aftermarket products. As it turns out, they had a few of these UUC knobs they were trying to get rid of. When he took it out of the box, I knew it was exactly what I'd been looking for: round, metal, but not polished, weighted, simple black 6-speed pattern insert. Sold. Serendipity.

In another serendipitous moment, while my car waited for me in the exit lane. The tech came out to remove my standard knob. He turned out to be an instructor in the local BMWCCA chapter, so we chatted shop for a few minutes.

I knew the knob would shorten my throw. I knew the knob was weighted to offset the smaller amount of leverage. What I did not expect was how much smoother shifting would feel. It's faster of course, but why is it smoother? The weight? Wonderful benefit! Highly recommended. That's the long and short of it. :thumbup:
Do you still have the knob for sale? Sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.
Try this.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/merch...ct_Code=ZHPSSKnob&Category_Code=E90ShiftKnobs

They offer the ZHP knob without the M logo for $95. I actually bought that one but never installed since I ended up going with the M logo one. I still have it brand new in the box. If you want it it's yours for $60 shipped.

It's a great knob. One of the best upgrades I made for my car.
Sorry. I sold it to another forum member about a month or so ago. Hope he's enjoying it. Hope you find another one!
Do you still have the knob for sale? Sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.
You might want to look into a short shift. Its a really nice conversion. I went from a 2008 328i Sport to a 335i M sport. The best part of the M sport package is the short shift.
Too late for the OP, but for others looking for info, try this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29731
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.