BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me is the stock 528 shifter bent or straight?
Any pictures?

I am planning to change stcok shifter on 99 528 to MZ3 shifter. The MZ3 shifter (25-11-2-228-384 ) is straight. I wonder if I need to bend it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
JY said:
Can any one tell me is the stock 528 shifter bent or straight?
Any pictures?

I am planning to change stcok shifter on 99 528 to MZ3 shifter. The MZ3 shifter (25-11-2-228-384 ) is straight. I wonder if I need to bend it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Looks to me like there is a slight bend in the E39 shifters. I'm not sure I'd try and force an MZ3 shifter where it doesn't belong.

Stock shifter is on the left...Rogue Engineering is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back. Form the picture it does appear to have some bend to it.
Some people have done it and said it's good. I was searching on the net and got incomplete answers about the bending.
I am not sure if there are any side effects besides shift lever not sitting straight up while in neutral.
It appears that MZ3 lever can have a shorter throw than other aftermarket shifters. Price is not bad neither, $75 from Stevens Creek.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pictures.
In anticipation of upcoming short shifter, I crawled underneath today and changed transmission fluid, While down there I took a look at the shift lever but it is hard to tell how much I need to bend.

ATF change was not too hard, the two 17mm plug was on it quite tight though.
Instead of using a fluid pump, I used a funnel and a hose. bring the hose through engine bay. One person feed fluid from top, and I stay underneath to keep eye on the over flow. Took 1.5 quart. Then I drained power steering fluid and used up rest of ATF.

The car has 58K miles, and old fluid was very clean and clear. I guess that is a good thing. After the change, I did notice a little better shifting, just a little. The reverse was always hard, I hope the short shifter will not make it unbearable.

Oil change is lined up for next week. Ordered filter from Pacific BMW, along with a MZ3 shift lever.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes I like the short shifter a lot, compared to my stock shifter. Since the change I have driven about several hundred miles, and getting used to the shifting positions, increasing shifting effort. It is fun to drive again.
I have not used the B&M before so can not compare.

Here is the thread I posted after the install:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97219

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.