BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts

BMW is experiencing a shortage of Style 397 wheels, order code 2A5. The 3 GT (F34), 4 Series Coupe (F32), Convertible (F33) and the 4 Series Grand Coupe (F36) continues to experience wheel shortage of wheel 2A5, 18" Light Alloy Wheel Double-spoke Style-397 w/ A/S tires through September.

As a result of this shortage wheel 2H2, 18" Light Alloy Wheel Multi-spoke Style 416 with All-Season tires, has been released for ordering for the base model and Luxury Package. To keep production on track BMW is looking to change approximately 1000 orders in September to Style 416 2H2 wheels.

To meet this order change number BMW is asking dealerships to leave wheel 2H2 on all September orders. The preferred alternatives are to add ZMP M Sport Package or ZTR Track Handling Package. The wheels in those 2 packages are readily available.

BMW warns that more orders may require changes if they supply of wheels does not return. No reason was given for the shortage of wheels.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
About 10 years ago, Saab had a shortage of solid rear discs for the 9-3 so, for a few months, all cars got vented and larger rear discs, not just the Aero model.

Wheels are different from disc in that they are easily seen by the customer. Perhaps if a car is not ordered by the customer, the dealer will agree to a substitute wheel? Or release a limited edition no cost option with a different wheel?

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
For reference, here is Style 397:

And here is Style 416:

I prefer Style 398 to either of the above choices, especially in Orbit Gray (which comes with ZTR Track Handling Package).

·
Registered
93 Posts
BMW is experiencing a shortage of Style 397 wheels, order code 2A5. The 3 GT (F34), 4 Series Coupe (F32), Convertible (F33) and the 4 Series Grand Coupe (F36) continues to experience wheel shortage of wheel 2A5, 18" Light Alloy Wheel Double-spoke Style-397 w/ A/S tires through September.

As a result of this shortage wheel 2H2, 18" Light Alloy Wheel Multi-spoke Style 416 with All-Season tires, has been released for ordering for the base model and Luxury Package. To keep production on track BMW is looking to change approximately 1000 orders in September to Style 416 2H2 wheels.

To meet this order change number BMW is asking dealerships to leave wheel 2H2 on all September orders. The preferred alternatives are to add ZMP M Sport Package or ZTR Track Handling Package. The wheels in those 2 packages are readily available.

BMW warns that more orders may require changes if they supply of wheels does not return. No reason was given for the shortage of wheels.
So when I added m-sport breaks to my 2015 F33 428 I was told that it only came with ferric grey 397s. The tail pipe ends are grey too. I personally love the look with my color combo but I wonder if they pushed them due to shortages. I will run regular 397s with my winter tires for part year contrast.

·
Save the manuals!
677 Posts
397 is my favorite 18" BMW wheel style, shame about the shortage. Wonder why they don't substitute style 658 instead? They look very similar:

658 is currently offered on the 320i with the Sport Package. Style 416 is a totally different look (very "old school") and I would be pretty upset if they swapped those in if I was expecting 397.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
397 is my favorite 18" BMW wheel style, shame about the shortage. Wonder why they don't substitute style 658 instead?
I also like Style 658 introduced for F30 LCI. :thumbup:

My guess: Style 658 won't work as a substitute for 397 because the former are staggered fitment (wider wheels for rear compared to front) only. Based on the description in the original post, the Style 397 shortage affects configurations with all-season tires, which use a 'square' fitment (same wheel width both front and rear).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also like Style 658 introduced for F30 LCI. :thumbup:

My guess: Style 658 won't work as a substitute for 397 because the former are staggered fitment (wider wheels for rear compared to front) only. Based on the description in the original post, the Style 397 shortage affects configurations with all-season tires, which use a 'square' fitment (same wheel width both front and rear).
The front 658s are 18x8.0", so they could just use four of those to make a square fitment ...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey, just ordered a 428ix GC with the 397 wheels yesterday. The dealer did not say a word. Either they do not know or the shortage has been resolved. Hope there is no issues for me. Not a fan of the 416 either.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Or are they still out? I'm waiting to build a 428GC MY2016 but really don't want the 416 wheels.
When I ordered my 435 last week, I specified with the dealer to fit the 397s. I'm expecting for a build to order they would be willing to fulfill it.

My dealer claimed not to know anything about the shortage, so I'll need to stay on top of this.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,644 Posts
When I ordered my 435 last week, I specified with the dealer to fit the 397s. I'm expecting for a build to order they would be willing to fulfill it.

My dealer claimed not to know anything about the shortage, so I'll need to stay on top of this.
Let us know how things turn out with the wheels. I have 6 months to use my $1000 incentive from the Ultimate Drive Experience, but would like to order for delivery before the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.