BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound silly --

On a smooth flat surface when I power on my 535 and engage either D or R it does not advance until I press down on the gas. Releasing my foot of the gas will basically bring the car to a stop.

I thought this was the expected behavior till I drove someone else's BMW the other day (Same model) and noticed that just releasing my foot of the brake is enough for it to advance without me even touching the gas (Either in D or in R).

Which behavior is the correct one?

Any idea what's going on?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
This may sound silly --

On a smooth flat surface when I power on my 535 and engage either D or R it does not advance until I press down on the gas. Releasing my foot of the gas will basically bring the car to a stop.

I thought this was the expected behavior till I drove someone else's BMW the other day (Same model) and noticed that just releasing my foot of the brake is enough for it to advance without me even touching the gas (Either in D or in R).

Which behavior is the correct one?

Any idea what's going on?
On a smooth, flat surface the car should move forward/reverse until the engine's torque can't overcome whatever drag the torque converter encounters; such as a grade. The 535 (i or d) should have enough torque to move the car at least at 5ish mph.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Back in the day, when the cars were simple and easy to work on, you could adjust the idle throttle level easily...wouldn't even know where to start looking on our cars.
Anyway, your car should start moving after releasing the brake without the need to depress the gas pedal. Just like every other car with automatic transmission. What you are describing is similar to a SMG or double clutch tranny behavior.
Have the dealer take a look at it, unless you prefer it this way of course.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I agree with everyone. Your car should move forward and back just using the idle speed.
I use Auto H and the car will not roll at all until gas pedal is pushed but I don't think that is your problem based on your question.
Another possible cause would be a stuck brake caliper. Just a thought

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreeing with others, smooth flat surface when releasing break your car should crawl forward unless Auto H is in play.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.