BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, one must go with an M3 if they want manual 3 series, which is overkill for my driving needs.

While I've been debating for months over whether or not to get an M3 6MT, my order would already be placed if an M340 was available in stick.

How many others would actually order an M340 in manual? Since one isn't available, are you getting another BMW, another make or just not buying anything right now??

·
Registered
341 Posts
If BMW brought us a wagon with I6 and MT, I would be placing an order right now (340i or M3). Otherwise, I don't need any more cars.

·
Registered
434 Posts
When the time comes to move on from my 6MT 340i, I will consider an M3 if it's still available with a manual. Although, I feel an M3 could be too much performance for my daily driving needs. That's where a manual M340 could slot in nicely... if only.

I have also started dreaming of one day bringing home a 718 GT4.

Reactions: TheRas900

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree. Even my 320hp 335i has way more power than necessary. I don't need anything faster or with a stiffer ride. But I want a manual.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
The reason BMW stopped selling wagons and manual transmissions in non-M cars, and even larger M cars, is that very few people bought them when they did sell them.

My manual 2014 535i was just about the last one built. It was built on a Monday, and they stopped production on Friday.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,619 Posts
No, think its all over for MT's in big cars. Dying breed even at BMW. Get an MT in a M3/4 & you only get the base engine. Can't get one at all in the M4 convertible.

They are going away because they no longer sell in any real quantity. The C8 StingRay is DCT only & DCT is also going away. Last one available for what drive was 2011.

·
Registered
2021 M340xi
57 Posts
Not for me. I wanted a daily driver, so AT is a must. And I guess I thought the M340 was a good compromise. If I wanted a weekend car, I would’ve got the M3 MT.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
I read another reason BMW's going away from manuals is that the German manuals can't take the torque that the latest turbo engines are putting out. BMW said they looked at the American manual used in Camaros and Mustangs, but they were not refined enough for a BMW.

I suspect DCT's were having trouble handling what the engines were dishing out. I broke a DCT in an F10 M5. Well, more accurately, it broke when I was driving it.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Not for me. I wanted a daily driver, so AT is a must. And I guess I thought the M340 was a good compromise. If I wanted a weekend car, I would’ve got the M3 MT.
Bubbaville Beach's traffic is bumper-to-bumper in the first part of the summer. I have to admit, I grab Frau Putzer's automatic X3 instead of my car then.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I read another reason BMW's going away from manuals is that the German manuals can't take the torque that the latest turbo engines are putting out. BMW said they looked at the American manual used in Camaros and Mustangs, but they were not refined enough for a BMW.

I suspect DCT's were having trouble handling what the engines were dishing out. I broke a DCT in an F10 M5. Well, more accurately, it broke when I was driving it.
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. In the F30, the MPPSK tune limits torque to 355 lb ft in a manual (and 369 lb ft in the AT).

·
Happily Driving
7,184 Posts
I'm going to have to get a Bronco to get my manual transmission.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
This sounds like a reasonable explanation. In the F30, the MPPSK tune limits torque to 355 lb ft in a manual (and 369 lb ft in the AT).
Add to that that the torque converter in a conventional automatic actually amplifies the engine's torque. The more slip (engine RPM / transmission RPM) the torque converter has, the more the torque amplification. There is some loss in efficiency (e), maybe 10%. The general torque converter equation is:

Torque (input) x Engine RPM x e = Torque (output) x Transmission RPM

or

Torque (output) = e x Torque (input) x Engine RPM / Transmission RPM

A mechanical clutch can only transfer up to 100% of the engine's torque to the transmission.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Road & Track did a comparison of the 228i, M235i, and M2, including power and torque curves. The maximum torque is perfectly flat for most of the RPM ranges.

Car Font Wheel Parallel Pattern

They got the M2's power curve wrong, though. The M2's power boost feature, by definition, increases both power and torque. So, there'd be a ramp superimposed on the power curve, but it would not exceed the maximum power achieved at higher RPM.

Car Wheel Font Line Material property

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
I'm going to have to get a Bronco to get my manual transmission.
I'm pondering a manual-transmission, naturally-aspirated-engine Toyota Corolla SE as a beater.

I get up to $4k back on new GM vehicles with my GM MasterCard I've had since the early 1990's.. So, my beaters have new GM vehicles for the last 22 years. But, there's nothing they make now that I want, even as a beater. Every time I warm up to something they make, they stop making it: HHR, City Express (rebadged Nissan commercial mini-van), Cruz, Sonic.

·
Happily Driving
7,184 Posts
I'm pondering a manual-transmission, naturally-aspirated-engine Toyota Corolla SE as a beater.

I get up to $4k back on new GM vehicles with my GM MasterCard I've had since the early 1990's.. So, my beaters have new GM vehicles for the last 22 years. But, there's nothing they make now that I want, even as a beater. Every time I warm up to something they make, they stop making it: HHR, City Express (rebadged Nissan commercial mini-van), Cruz, Sonic.
In the case of the Bolt, it warms up to you instead. :D

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Guys, find yourself nice used 328 E90 6MT, and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only person I trust enough to buy a used BMW from is me. So, that's what I do... buy new ones and keep them 100k miles.

I used to drive about 20k miles/year when I was working. Doing that, it also made economic sense to have a second car. That also kept the miles and sunlight damage off my BMW. I've had my 535i 7.5 years, now with 74k miles on it. I've driven my Chevy Cobalt 45k miles during my 535i ownership.

Now, I'm down to about 8k miles/year. With two cars (for me, plus one for Frau Putzer), my tires are aging out before the tread's gone.

My next plan will be to get a new 330i or maybe a 530i as my only car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts