BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Why can't we get Diesels?
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally would like to own a ZHP 330Ci. I understand that the M3 is the high performance E46 coupe, but the price difference is substantial. Not only that, the M3 seems to be too much of a beast (in a good way). I sure as hell know I wouldn't use all that power. Anyway, a ZHP 330Ci may be in the low 40K's without counting potential ED savings. You probably need 10K or more for an M3.

As far as offering ZHP on the Ci goes, all the parts needed in one way or another already exist at BMW. Either from being offered on the 330i ZHP, or because they are available in other countries as either standard or optional equipment. I don't see how the ZHP (criticized by many here as not offering enough performance) on a 330Ci could take away sales from the M3. It costs BMW nothing to develop it, and it's not a different model, it's just an option on an existing model. If it doesn't sell on the coupe (doubtful), it will be similar to people not ordering Nav, or leather. It costs them nothing to offer it, and could boost sales. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
BMW had better, or Nissan/Infinity is going to eat their lunch (at least in the sport coupe market).

The HP package in the sedan is pretty much a direct response to the G35 sedan. Since they've already done the development work it would be actively silly not to apply it to the coupe also.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
is the package gonna be $3900? if so, that's pretty insane. if i added $3900 to the price i bought my 330Ci for, I can easily get a stripped M3.

if you take out the backseats, the sound-absorbing material under the hood and inside the doors, change intake, exhaust, sways, etc, should costs less than $4k and prolly will be faster... I'd go for a stripped M3 anyday... can also do the same to reduce weight with the M3 and it will be FAST!

a fully loaded 330 is still a 330, it will never be as good as an ///M. and we all know how much options depreciate when you sell a car...

--Andrew

20,210 Posts
ayn said:
is the package gonna be $3900? if so, that's pretty insane. if i added $3900 to the price i bought my 330Ci for, I can easily get a stripped M3.

--Andrew
check the other posts on the subject though. It's not really $3900 added on to the final price of a 330Ci. You are gaining a lot of things in this package such that you wouldn't need to order other items or packages

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
No.

1 word: M3

·
Registered
678 Posts
mbr129 said:
I personally would like to own a ZHP 330Ci. I understand that the M3 is the high performance E46 coupe, but the price difference is substantial.
And that's why you'll (almost certainly) never see it. If they offered the the package on the 330Ci, there would be much less incentive for many to get the M3.

What this package really is (well, beside a way to fight the G35) is a way to get most people that want an M3 sedan to shut up.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
but the 330 already has more hp than the 325 :dunno: adding 10 more hp would just be adding 10 more hp to 330. 225hp then adding 10 as an option would make the 330 zhp "special" and bmw can charge more for it being special just like metallic paint is "special".

wasn't there the 330Ci clubsport? that'll probably get the extra 10 ponies. :dunno:

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

cenotaph said:

What this package really is (well, beside a way to fight the G35) is a way to get most people that want an M3 sedan to shut up.
DING DING DING.... WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

cenotaph said:

This is what BMWNA intended this package to be, according to the M Brand Manager guy.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

Kaz said:
This is what BMWNA intended this package to be, according to the M Brand Manager guy.
that's pretty funny cuz it's only 10hp that they adding not 110hp.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

Kaz said:
What they intended is pretty irrelevent. How many people who would buy 330 coupes are going to be pissed off that their car is softer and less powerful then the comparable sedan, especially considering coupe buyers tend to be on avergage more performance conscious (I know, let the flames begin). It ain't gonna take to many complaints from dealers that people are passing up 330Cis for G35cs before BMW will deal with it. Jon Shafer has already alluded to this happening.

The M3 isn't the answer, because it's another whole price class ($50k+ in normal trim) beyond the 330Ci even if they tacked on a couple of grand for the HP package.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

MikeW said:
How many people who would buy 330 coupes are going to be pissed off that their car is softer and less powerful then the comparable sedan, especially considering coupe buyers tend to be on avergage more performance conscious (I know, let the flames begin).
Are they more performance conscious or do they just have smaller penises? :dunno: :flipoff:

(Ducking and running for cover... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
IMHO, if you're looking into getting an 330 and want more performance, a stripped E46 M3 or an E36 M3 is the answer.

unless you track your car, i dont see why anyone would need that much HP, and an extra 10HP is definitely not worth the money.

I should've gotten a stripped M3 myself, but that's a different story...

--Andrew

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

MikeW said:
What they intended is pretty irrelevent. How many people who would buy 330 coupes are going to be pissed off that their car is softer and less powerful then the comparable sedan, especially considering coupe buyers tend to be on avergage more performance conscious (I know, let the flames begin).
the 330Ci clubsport or cdn 330ci m-sport has the new sportier suspension but perhaps not the extra 10hps.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

TD said:
Are they more performance conscious or do they just have smaller penises? :dunno: :flipoff:

(Ducking and running for cover... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )
Either way, it doesn't matter. This issue may matter more to the poseurs than true enthusiasts, but in either case BMW wants their money. If potential buyers are not buying BMWs, then BMW is going to have to do whatever it has to do to bring them back, especially if it is a parts bin exercise.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BMW offer ZHP on 330Ci or not?

HW said:
the 330Ci clubsport or cdn 330ci m-sport has the new sportier suspension but perhaps not the extra 10hps.
Neither can be had in the US.

·
Why can't we get Diesels?
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, was your 330Ci stripped? You have to compare apples with apples. If you add $3900 to the base price of a 330Ci, you are still at least 6-7K away from an M3. Plus you can get the 330Ci for a couple of grand under MSRP and you get no discount on the M3. So really, the M3 could easily cost 8K+ more than the 330CI similarly equipped. This is without taking into account the much higher insurance costs and maintenance (tires, gas, etc).

Interesting too, how you have an ///M steering wheel... a $350 feature included in the ZHP.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
I think TD is right about why the package is being offered, but at least to me, who wants a M3 sedan VERY VERY bad, this 330i ZHP package is bullshit.

I hope it sells well, because if it does I imagine the M3 sedan will be soon to follow, but as far as the package goes, it is hardly a performace based mod. It is kind of just a hey, buy this and be super cool package.

·
Registered
483 Posts
dredmo said:
I think TD is right about why the package is being offered, but at least to me, who wants a M3 sedan VERY VERY bad, this 330i ZHP package is bullshit.

I hope it sells well, because if it does I imagine the M3 sedan will be soon to follow, but as far as the package goes, it is hardly a performace based mod. It is kind of just a hey, buy this and be super cool package.
I don't buy that. Yes a four door M3 would be better, but the HP is better then the current 330i SP. What's wrong with more HP, tighter suspension, better shifter, better wheels and tires, etc.. The price is a different issue. But then te $3900 number is above base, not above SP.

T

·
0 Posts
dredmo said:

I will assure you that regardless of how well it sells, there will be no E46 M3 sedan. This package confirms that. BMWNA has been begging BMWAG for one but as the US is the only market where the E36 M3 sedan sold well, BMWAG has more or less said forget it. This is the bone BMWNA is throwing those who want an E46 M3 sedan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts