Votes: 4 13.3%
  • No, it should automatically be on

Votes: 26 86.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many people would prefer if DSC automatically switched itself according to what it was when you turned the car off.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Too many idiot drivers in the world... and too many people who like to sue other people because they were idiots.

DSC should automatically be activated every time the car is started. Those who think they're better than DSC can shut it off manually.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Mystikal said:
I'm curious how many people would prefer if DSC automatically switched itself according to what it was when you turned the car off.
Darn, I read it after I voted...I would prefer it OFF on start, but I voted ON due to my common sense. Can you imagine the nightmare if it is indeed off on every start, and someone gets into an accident and finding out that DSC is off and sues BMW?

I would prefer if it's an option you can ask your dealership to program SEPERATELY after you sign a waiver. Say, if it comes ACTIVATED AT START by default, and you can have it programmed to be OFF AT START after you sign a waiver or something.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
alee said:
Too many idiot drivers in the world... and too many people who like to sue other people because they were idiots.

DSC should automatically be activated every time the car is started. Those who think they're better than DSC can shut it off manually.
Couldn't agree more. :thumb: Sport mode is the one that should be on by default... :(

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
ALEX325i said:
Couldn't agree more. :thumb: Sport mode is the one that should be on by default... :(
Then someone would find a way to sue BMW for misrepresenting the gas mileage.:D It never ends! :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
alee said:

Then someone would find a way to sue BMW for misrepresenting the gas mileage.:D It never ends! :)
Believe it or not, I get better mileage in Sport mode... I guess that has to do with the fact that the throttle does not need plenty of movement like it does in non-Sport mode... :dunno:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
ALEX325i said:
Believe it or not, I get better mileage in Sport mode...
Rumor has it that in the sports mode the gas needle is controlled by another chip in order not to scare the driver :D

·
10,856 Posts
I would like it as an option on the custom settings sheet.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Having it as key memory thing is a good idea, but if I were to have DSC off by default, I wouldn't want to be staring at the lights all the time.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about putting a "Option on Car/Key Memory" choice but I decided to keep it as simple as possible. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I have to agree with Al and HACK. While a pain on the track DSC is great on the street from a safety standpoint, even for an experienced driver. I never turn mine off on the street but it's the first thing I do on the track.

Our club has actually reversed it's opinion on this for track events. Our instructors used to reach over and turn it off first thing, now they leave it on till the student gets better at handling the car.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
in_d_haus said:
Our club has actually reversed it's opinion on this for track events. Our instructors used to reach over and turn it off first thing, now they leave it on till the student gets better at handling the car.
I think that makes good sense. DSC does a little more than just cut the power, which might also be why they are a little more accepting of it.

·
10,856 Posts
I had fun today with DSC on... I was squealing the tires down this little windy, hilly road... And it was damp out. DSC is actually quite nice under certain circumstances. That said, if you hit uneven pavement, it gets scary unless you turn it off.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It should be on automatically. My reasoning is this:

Generally, when you want it off, you know it and thus can turn it off in advance. When you need it on, you probably didn't expect to need it and you would hope to hell it was already on because by the time you realize you want it on, its too late! :yikes:

What would be nice is to reverse the two stage shut-off. A quick press should disable traction control and maintain stability control. I believe it is currently the opposite. Pressing for a few seconds should disable everything (as it does now).

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I have to agree with Al and HACK. While a pain on the track DSC is great on the street from a safety standpoint, even for an experienced driver. I never turn mine off on the street but it's the first thing I do on the track.

A good driver should never notice DSC...I have left it on for several warmup laps without knowing :dunno:

It really isn't as intrusive as some say it is. It only comes on hard if you make sudden, bonehead movements...

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
nate328Ci said:

A good driver should never notice DSC...I have left it on for several warmup laps without knowing :dunno:

It really isn't as intrusive as some say it is. It only comes on hard if you make sudden, bonehead movements...
I have to disagree Nate. Yes, you can go very far with it on and it actually helps point out where you are doing something wrong (it comes on) but a skilled driver can take the car farther with it off than on.

Auberlin wrote an article where he talked about the new bimmers and their trackability. In it he recommended leaving it on for this very reason.
It will actually help you drive better. When you can push the car as hard as you can without it coming on then disable and work at the next level.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:

I have to disagree Nate. Yes, you can go very far with it on and it actually helps point out where you are doing something wrong (it comes on) but a skilled driver can take the car farther with it off than on.

Auberlin wrote an article where he talked about the new bimmers and their trackability. In it he recommended leaving it on for this very reason.
It will actually help you drive better. When you can push the car as hard as you can without it coming on then disable and work at the next level.
No, I know that you can get faster laps without DSC. But, if you are driving properly within the car's limits, it should almost never come on....

I do turn it off because I would like to find the limits, but if you drive smoothly, the DSC should almost never come on.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As the thread starter, I can't even comment on the DSC intrusiveness. I have yet to drive a car with ANY form of stability control. :(

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Mystikal said:
As the thread starter, I can't even comment on the DSC intrusiveness. I have yet to drive a car with ANY form of stability control. :(
Doesn't your car have ASC+T? :dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts