BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. The top on my 96 318i is in pretty bad shape and I can’t even see out the rear window. I’m seeing these replacement tops on eBay/Amazon but they’re only the top itself, not the frame. How hard would it be to change the top itself without buying a whole new frame for it? I have thought about taking one off a parts car, but then I’m running into the same issue with there being damage and wear. Not sure if this changes anything, but my car has a full manual top, and is a facelift model. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Title says it all. The top on my 96 318i is in pretty bad shape and I can’t even see out the rear window. I’m seeing these replacement tops on eBay/Amazon but they’re only the top itself, not the frame. How hard would it be to change the top itself without buying a whole new frame for it? I have thought about taking one off a parts car, but then I’m running into the same issue with there being damage and wear. Not sure if this changes anything, but my car has a full manual top, and is a facelift model. Thanks.
This is what I’m thinking of

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If just the rear window is bad you can replace that. I got mine from this site. I don’t know what kind of job it is to put a new top on an existing frame.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to stitch it back on?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have a factory BMW top, no. It just 'zippers' in. The window replacement kit comes with adhesive to improve the water tightness. In my case, I did not realize my top had already been replaced but with a non-BMW top and the window did not zipper out. It was sewn in. I've been trying to get it sewn in but it's a bear of a job because of the thick roof material. It's still not water tight, nor is my window flat/flush when the top is up, which is annoying. I continue to work at it (sewing it in tighter) when I am motivated. Right now, I have a garage I can store it when the weather gets bad.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
This is what I’m thinking of
The Sierra tops are very high quality tops. I had one of those put on my E36, and I installed a Sierra top myself on my E85. The tricky part of the E36 top installation is the "bat wing" pieces and getting the lacing cord correct. There are You Tube videos that show how to do it.

Reactions: dan7
1 - 6 of 6 Posts