BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions, please.

I've had yet another frustrating experience with a BMW service center. Honestly, this should be the easiest part of BMW ownership.

My condition-based service (CBS) oil change interval is always far in excess of 10,000 miles. My CBS has varied between 11,000 and 15,000 miles, and the "distance to service" doesn't seem to go down in a linear way, with my miles driven. It has, in fact, gone up on many occasions. Like a mirage out there on the horizon, my "distance to service" always seems to be just on the horizon.

For the sake of argument, let's agree that my X5 40e says it wants oil service at intervals greater than a year apart.

Fundamentally, this CBS oil-change interval sets up a lot of friction between an owner and the BMW service center. I have always demanded that my oil be changed at 10,000 miles, which I consider to be quite reasonable. (Personally, I think it should be every 6,000 miles... but I'm willing to learn new tricks and extend it to 10,000). But even at 10,000 it sets up a misalignment of expectations every single time I seek an oil change, as if the SC is somehow doing me some tremendous favor. I've had this happen at more than one SC, BTW.

Even stipulating that PHEVs genuinely don't have as many engine-miles as odometer-miles, and also stipulating that it's high-quality BMW synthetic oil - I feel it's still perfectly reasonable to change the oil every 10,000 miles, and I would absolutely do it more often, were it not for this weird dynamic of BMW maintenance.

Am I wrong here?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,579 Posts
Does your BMW have an Oil Level - Condition Sensor as mine does?

Learn about The 3,000 Mile Oil Myth. Legislation is coming.

Long ago, when I first got my 2003 TDI, I learned that VW had considered a 30,000 mile OCI but rejected it for the likelihood that consumers would forget oil changes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my F15 diesel, I simply do an oil change halfway between CBS services. I pay for it (actually do it my self) and use dealer purchased filter and oil.
As a retired BMW tech, I KNOW that the super extended oil drain intervals reduce the longevity of their engines. There are so many variables that come into play; type of driving, ambient temperatures, style of driving, oil quality, etc.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,048 Posts
BMW will also pay for your oil change annually, no matter the mileage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered Troublemaker
241 Posts
BMW will also pay for your oil change annually, no matter the mileage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Bimmerfest mobile app
I just get the low mileage annual oil changes on mine. I'm 30 months in and have less than 20k miles on it.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
OP the oil change intervals in modern BMWs should be XX,XXX miles OR 1 year. If you only cover 5k miles in 1 year you should get it then. If you cover 10 - 12k miles in a year, then its whatever your oil change interval for the vehicle is stated by BMW. You are "demanding" it be changed at 10k miles and your vehicle may be saying it doesnt need it until 12k miles... which sets up the disconnect you are talking about.

If you are keeping the vehicle (ie you bought it, not leased it) and are concerned about the oil change interval, the best thing to do would be to save the coupons the BMW service center sends out and pay for an oil change at 6k when you want it, and then get the "free" (included) one when the car calls for it.

If they are doing them for you at 10k vs when the vehicle calls for it, thats why you feel like they are acting like they are "doing you a favor" because by the way the maintenance plan currently is, they are. There is actually not that much "value" in the "free" maintenance. BMW expects to pay for 3ish oil changes, some filters, etc. They dont even cover the wiper blades and brakes anymore without additional $$$.

I think your idea of a "disconnect" only really applies to knowledgable customers. Most customers will not bring it in until the car tells them to, and even then many dont want to take the time. Its only customers with specific wants / needs or knowledgable "forum" type customers who might have this disconnect, and the number of those customers is very small for a dealership, let alone BMW.

better to just pay for an oil change at 6k since thats what you want for long term ownership, and maybe talk to your dealer about getting a budget rate on those off scheduled paid for by you ones. There are normally coupons or such for cheap dealer oil changes, and I would go that route if I felt like you do.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,579 Posts
It is interesting that BMW fans both advocate The 3,000 Mile Oil Myth AND complain of excessive oil use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts