BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went to my favorite CA about a 328 lease. I had some pretty specific requirements and he was able to find one car hundreds of miles away. This was on thursday. He wanted to complete the deal this month because of the high residuals which might not continue into August.

So I told him to go ahead. He told me the car would arrive yesterday or today. He'd have me sign the papers today and the car would be detailed and ready to go tomorrow.

Yesterday he said he'd go to my house and give me the papers to sign today and I could pick up the car tomorrow.

I agreed with this yesterday but today felt that I couldn't sign for a car I'd not seen 'in the flesh?' ('in the steel?' sounds just as weird).

He told me he'd get back to me on when it would arrive but he said it in a way that made it clear that he didn't have it yet. I surmise it'll arrive tomorrow. If the residuals haven't changed, I could still buy it.

Here's my concern... this is a guy who's treated me right on 2 previous deals and the deal for this car was reasonable. But he told me the car would be here today but he'd come to my house for my convenience but it's clear to me he didn't have the car and wasn't getting it today.

I think the idea of signing for a car that wasn't in the dealership's possession feels dishonest to me. Having signed for the car today (if I done so), what if the car was damaged in transit, not as described, etc? I think I'd have been stuck.

SO I ask, am I being too sensitive here? Getting the current residual could be a good thing to me (and another July sale for him). None the less, I've got a 'bad taste in my mouth about this.'

What do you all think... am I being too touchy or am I being reasonable?

PS: this is not a car that I need today. There's no urgency other than the fact that I could easily be paying more tomorrow...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
I think you're getting worked up. My understanding of the current program is that it's a July-August program so it's unlikely you'll see a change tomorrow unless BMWNA decides they need to move more cars quicker. In that case you may see an improvement tomorrow. Either way, as you said you don't need the car today so if the rates do increase then you can take a wait and see approach. But why not lock the rates if you're that worried?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,892 Posts
I think you're getting worked up. My understanding of the current program is that it's a July-August program so it's unlikely you'll see a change tomorrow unless BMWNA decides they need to move more cars quicker. In that case you may see an improvement tomorrow. Either way, as you said you don't need the car today so if the rates do increase then you can take a wait and see approach. But why not lock the rates if you're that worried?
I agree with Imola in that I dont think you have much to worry about regarding the rates. In the beginning of July, I remember seeing a couple of very reputable people post that this program is a july / August program, so I think the only movement you might see is up if sales are not what BMW wants.

What papers was the CA bringing for you to sign? Wont you still need to go through the Finance and Insurance (F&I) office when you go to pick up the car? I dont think I would have signed for the car either till it came in.. unless I was really comfortable with the CA and did not mind him trying to make his July numbers.

It sounds like you have done business with this CA before, so If that was me, I would extend some trust... especially since you are in california, and as long as you have not physically taken possession of the car you could ask them to tear up the contract (I am not a lawyer but this is my understanding... maybe someone else with knowledge of this can chime in).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input.

As for what I'd sign... I was wondering that myself. I don't see how they could have done all the paperwork at my house. I'll see tomorrow what's up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
I think you are over reacting a little.

Put yourself in his shoes. First, he probably really needed the deal, and chances are that the delay was out of his hands.
Second, if you trust him, then he would have done right if there was an issue (though admittedly I'm not that trusting, but I also wouldn't get worked up about this).
Finally, the base rate may still be the same or better; but maybe he notes that his boss won't let him do whatever great deal he is giving you next month. So maybe he was going you a favor as well and that deal won't be there tomorrow... And then you will be pissed if they pull it from under you.

In any case, hope it works out for both of you. Deal doesn't change and he doesn't crushed by his boss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Having signed for the car today (if I done so), what if the car was damaged in transit, not as described, etc? I think I'd have been stuck.
I agree this is odd, but you would be fine if the car is damaged. The deal (contract) is not complete until you have accepted delivery of the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
Some of this is controlled by dealership policy on reporting and contracting before physical delivery. Many don't allow a contract without the vehicle being physically delivered.

I would imagine it was based mainly on sales objectives.

Whether the deal (i.e. price) could be done in July or in August is something only the dealer would know.

Regarding the infamous programs. Yes, they are July/August. But what if an August 2nd "update" happens that could make the deal better for sales in August? If they have already reported your car sold, you might be out in the cold. One of the default caveats in the programs is you can't "unwind" a reported sale to get a new program.

I'd be in touch with your CA to see what s/he says about that possibility. Will they indeed tear up the contract if the program is better for you tomorrow?

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Programs didn't change; get the car.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top