Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question you you and all the ppl in the comments. I’m in highschool working a 10hr job I would say lower middle class but I’m looking at a 328xi manual with 86k good condition with a small oil leak problem from the oil filter housing gasket. The car is $5,950 but I think we can talk him down good enough. Rn I have a 99 Toyota Camry no problems, should I wait till I’m older to get a more performance car or luxury car like the 328xi or is it a good decision to get it. We’re kinda in a bind on our opinions. Other people’s ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading the long message if you see it it means a lot.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,445 Posts
No, you should not buy a BMW. There is no car more expensive than a cheap BMW.

·
BeeemerBro
3,441 Posts
Even if we take it to the mechanics and it looks good.
Especially if you take it to the mechanics! It looks good? Think of that prettiest girl in class... And remember the reason you didn't talk to her... Well, anyways ... Here's what I'm getting at... Enjoy!

Sent from my 9029W using Tapatalk

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,192 Posts
Even if we take it to the mechanics and it looks good.
Id like to commend you for asking for advice. For being willing to not buy something you WANT, and instead thinking about the possible downside.

First, there is NO mechanic that can inspect that car and tel you it wont grenade in a month or a year. Even if it is fine now. Even if they say "yeah the leak will be $300 to fix". None. Impossible.

Second, you arent a DIYer it sounds like. These can be amazingly costly to repair.

You have a car that is transportation. You are good to go. You need to put your life on track FIRST. Finish education, get a good job... become stable in a career and with money coming in. THEN indulge on 'flashy' car. (Not that a 328 is, but just saying.)

My 2 cents. Welcome to being an adult!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Especially if you take it to the mechanics! It looks good? Think of that prettiest girl in class... And remember the reason you didn't talk to her... Well, anyways ... Here's what I'm getting at... Enjoy!

So it’s pretty much a no no matter what?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id like to commend you for asking for advice. For being willing to not buy something you WANT, and instead thinking about the possible downside.

First, there is NO mechanic that can inspect that car and tel you it wont grenade in a month or a year. Even if it is fine now. Even if they say "yeah the leak will be $300 to fix". None. Impossible.

Second, you arent a DIYer it sounds like. These can be amazingly costly to repair.

You have a car that is transportation. You are good to go. You need to put your life on track FIRST. Finish education, get a good job... become stable in a career and with money coming in. THEN indulge on 'flashy' car. (Not that a 328 is, but just saying.)

My 2 cents. Welcome to being an adult!
Yeah I completely get what your saying I’ve thought about that a lot but I would t say I’m not a diy person but I want to learn how to work on my own car. I get the waiting till your stable but I don’t want to wait till I’m 30 years old to have a fun car that I can work on and take to shows. I completely get what your saying but I’m not the type of person to just sit around and wait 1/2 of my life to do something I want to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a highschooler and I own a 2006 530xi and in my experience I can tell you it's worth it! (If you have enough money to have money afterwards, of course.) In my case, I had to do a tune up and she's golden! I'm also a DIYer so it makes it a whole lot more inexpensive on my part. It's like a 50/50 with everyone it seems like. In conclusion, for me, it was worth it. May not be your case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What condition was your car in when you bought it? The one I’m looking at is in good condition for the price and mileage. Just trying to learn as much as I can

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a highschooler and I own a 2006 530xi and in my experience I can tell you it's worth it! (If you have enough money to have money afterwards, of course.) In my case, I had to do a tune up and she's golden! I'm also a DIYer so it makes it a whole lot more inexpensive on my part. It's like a 50/50 with everyone it seems like. In conclusion, for me, it was worth it. May not be your case.
What condition was your car in when you bought it? The one I’m looking at is in good condition for the price and mileage. Just trying to learn as much as I caN

·
Registered
4 Posts
What condition was your car in when you bought it? The one I’m looking at is in good condition for the price and mileage. Just trying to learn as much as I caN
My car was very well maintained and the 2 owners previous had taken care of it to stay in its prime. It just needed spark plugs, coils, oil change, new alternator as it wasn't used for some time. Cost me around $300 to get her all fixed up and now she runs like a champ! I did everything myself.

I bought a 2006 BMW 530xi with 160k miles and for around $4200. You should probably bring someone that knows about cars and that can scan the car for problems. If you decide you're going to look at one. Know what to look for in a used car (espcially BMW), look up any videos that can show you what to look for so you aren't getting something on its last leg. Look up prices on simple maintence at a repair shop to know how much you will be spending on the car. Ask the owner whats wrong otherwise you will catch problems when you scan it. (Unless no CEL).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car was very well maintained and the 2 owners previous had taken care of it to stay in its prime. It just needed spark plugs, coils, oil change, new alternator as it wasn't used for some time. Cost me around $300 to get her all fixed up and now she runs like a champ! I did everything myself.

I bought a 2006 BMW 530xi with 160k miles and for around $4200. You should probably bring someone that knows about cars and that can scan the car for problems. If you decide you're going to look at one. Know what to look for in a used car (espcially BMW), look up any videos that can show you what to look for so you aren't getting something on its last leg. Look up prices on simple maintence at a repair shop to know how much you will be spending on the car. Ask the owner whats wrong otherwise you will catch problems when you scan it. (Unless no CEL).
Yeah I did all that nothing major that I saw was wrong just the oil filter housing area looked like a little oil. Other than that the guy had new front struts put in and it sounded great no weird noises. Having a mechanic look at it I think next week but other wise it looks great 86k miles but mostly highway and no rust from what I could see when I looked at it. And it’s around $6k so I think that’s a for price.

·
BeeemerBro
3,441 Posts
So it’s pretty much a no no matter what?
Here consider this...
Your a highschooler...
Do you like home work and studying?
If yes... Then go for the BMW.
If no... Then stay away from the BMW.
Only you know the answer! Because owning these things and repairing these things will force you to study. Either for the cost of the labor, part or expertise...
Sure many can help you from here (willingly) but it's best to know for yourself. Sure I'll take the other guy's advice but I'm going to follow (if I haven't done so already) with my own study on the problem.
Here, look at what this one guy had to do to get to his solution...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,192 Posts
Yeah I completely get what your saying I’ve thought about that a lot but I would t say I’m not a diy person but I want to learn how to work on my own car. I get the waiting till your stable but I don’t want to wait till I’m 30 years old to have a fun car that I can work on and take to shows. I completely get what your saying but I’m not the type of person to just sit around and wait 1/2 of my life to do something I want to do.
Welp. You get to chose what kind of life you'll have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I did all that nothing major that I saw was wrong just the oil filter housing area looked like a little oil. Other than that the guy had new front struts put in and it sounded great no weird noises. Having a mechanic look at it I think next week but other wise it looks great 86k miles but mostly highway and no rust from what I could see when I looked at it. And it’s around $6k so I think that’s a for price.
You're going to be around 100% sure you can maintain the vehicle to stay sharp otherwise it gets spendy. You gotta choose for yourself. Go to youtube and check out other maintenance videos on E90, E46, E60. Take a look at how they keep up with things and also knowing how to repair and what to repair when needbe. Shops charge a lot because it's BMW.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My opinion: drive the car that makes you happy. I say go for it. As long as you don't go to the dealership for service and repairs they are not as expensive to own as most people think. If you can learn to DIY, even better. You can still plan for the future and own that car.

But I do recommend you bring it to a reputable mechanic to look it over before purchase. No, they can't tell if parts will fail after you but it (even brand new cars break some times), but they can tell you if there are any current underlying issues.

In the past I bought cars that made sense, this year I bought cars that make me happy: a 2016 X3 xDrive28i and a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack. I love my Scat Pack and wish I bought such a fun car sooner. I love my X3 also. (If I had the money for a higher trim X3 I would have bought one.)

I'm of the mind set that you should enjoy the car you drive. If having a cheap car that gets you from A to B, has zero driver experience, and is practical makes you happy then do that. If you want a car that is fast, handles well, is comfortable, is flashy, stands out or is luxurious, then do that. "If it makes you feel good do it".

Over the course of your life $5k is not that much money. Even if the engine and transmission blew and you had to drop $10-15k into it, that's not a lot of money over the course of your life time. See where I'm going. And you can always sell the car if you decide you don't want it later.

Just an example of why people think these cars are expensive to own when they don't need to be (my X3 needed service, I live in California BTW)...

Oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs:
Dealership = $910 parts and labor
Independent Euro Shop = $485 parts and labor
DIY = $185 for parts + 90 minutes of my time. (Also, gotta have the tools and space. YouTube is your friend)

So you can see why people say these are expensive cars to own, luxury car Dealerships overcharge because most people who own their cars have the money and don't care (I guess?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I’m just bored of my 4 cylinder Camry that takes 10sec to get to 50mph and has terrible handling, I want to learn as well about how to work on cars but I don’t think my parents find it a good idea because of the problems and costs of major replacements. I want it but I also have to think of the bad things about it as well. I would rather have a 240 for example but drift tax and I would run into the same problem of major spending in parts and I don’t think again my parents see what interests I have in cars. I have a passion to learn about them because I’ve always been obsessed with engines and motor sports but it’s always been too expensive for us. Thanks again man!
My opinion: drive the car that makes you happy. I say go for it. As long as you don't go to the dealership for service and repairs they are not as expensive to own as most people think. If you can learn to DIY, even better. You can still plan for the future and own that car.

But I do recommend you bring it to a reputable mechanic to look it over before purchase. No, they can't tell if parts will fail after you but it (even brand new cars break some times), but they can tell you if there are any current underlying issues.

In the past I bought cars that made sense, this year I bought cars that make me happy: a 2016 X3 xDrive28i and a 2018 Challenger Scat Pack. I love my Scat Pack and wish I bought such a fun car sooner. I love my X3 also. (If I had the money for a higher trim X3 I would have bought one.)

I'm of the mind set that you should enjoy the car you drive. If having a cheap car that gets you from A to B, has zero driver experience, and is practical makes you happy then do that. If you want a car that is fast, handles well, is comfortable, is flashy, stands out or is luxurious, then do that. "If it makes you feel good do it".

Over the course of your life $5k is not that much money. Even if the engine and transmission blew and you had to drop $10-15k into it, that's not a lot of money over the course of your life time. See where I'm going. And you can always sell the car if you decide you don't want it later.

Just an example of why people think these cars are expensive to own when they don't need to be (my X3 needed service, I live in California BTW)...

Oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs:
Dealership = $910 parts and labor
Independent Euro Shop = $485 parts and labor
DIY = $185 for parts + 90 minutes of my time. (Also, gotta have the tools and space. YouTube is your friend)

So you can see why people say these are expensive cars to own, luxury car Dealerships overcharge because most people who own their cars have the money and don't care (I guess?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I’m just bored of my 4 cylinder Camry that takes 10sec to get to 50mph and has terrible handling, I want to learn as well about how to work on cars but I don’t think my parents find it a good idea because of the problems and costs of major replacements. I want it but I also have to think of the bad things about it as well. I would rather have a 240 for example but drift tax and I would run into the same problem of major spending in parts and I don’t think again my parents see what interests I have in cars. I have a passion to learn about them because I’ve always been obsessed with engines and motor sports but it’s always been too expensive for us. Thanks again man!
If you want a more sporty car there are other options than just that BMW. Do your homework online and find something sport, inexpensive, and economical (to own). It does exist. Honda Prelude, Civic SI (5th or 6th Gen), Mazda Miata (older the better), just to name a few. Not as posh as a BMW but still more sport, and just as economical, as your Camery.

My first car was a 1979 Mazda 626 (in 1996). Terrible car. But it forced me to learn to work on cars because it broke down a lot and my parent were poor when I was younger. (It was a hand me down from the family for college). But I also took 2 years of auto shop in high school and a class in college. That's probably a better way to learn, take some classes. Learn before your car breaks down on the side of the road, lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ask yourself, "Am I okay with being a slave to the vehicle?" Can you make life compromises? Do you want this vehicle bad enough? If you can answer with a definite yes to these questions, then I'd say go for it. Before you make that decision though, you have to weigh out the other things you want to do in the immediate future. Will owning this car still leave you enough funds to enjoy the car? To still do the things your friends do? Are you able to fix the vehicle when it breaks down? To maintain it? Are you driven enough to do the work yourself, both in locating proper parts and saving money on labor? Do you have the tools to do the proper repairs? Life's decisions.

The bottom line is, you can be happy with the car, but there will be lots of compromises. The real question is, can you live with those compromises? If so, got for it. There are things you will regret in life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts