BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all just joined the site yesterday and now im on break so I'll ask some questions about the 3 series more on the side of a 320 or 328 prefer x drive.
I read a lot of mixed decisions about the reliable , power and so fourth. Right now I'am driving a 14 maxima SV ( 3.5L V6 290 hp and 260lbs of torque) fully loaded , i find myself to not like sporty vehicles the power is awesome , the suspension is tight and firm but all honestly there is really no need for it in my opinion taking trips yearly to Florida i prefer a nice quiet cabin with goodies followed by a fuel saver.
Talking to a few BMW owners one day while shopping and all of them had no mechanical issues with there vehicles but they told me they are un-reliable due to do door not locking, dome light flickering, gps is slow and hard to follow (this was back in 2012-2013). So i think to myself all people today think cars are un-reliable due to some flaws in the accessories department lol. Growing up a vehicle is considered un-reiable due engine problems and so fourth.
Here are some questions i have for the 320/328.

1). I want to have one for a long term (at least 10yrs 120k miles) how do they stack up to the competition? (Audi , lexus).

2) x drive is all wheel drive does that hurt fuel economy?

3) In recent years what do you say bmw's reliable is? Mechanical issues. Yes i understand that every car is different

4) With my maxima the heated/cool heats only warm your butt, do bmw warm/cool your lower lumbar in additon to your butt? Sorry thats the one flaw i have with the maxima.

Thats it at the moment going back in to work. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re buyer

See consumer reports as well. The BMW reliability is impressive, No they aren't as cheap after having driven both sides. However, once you climb into a BMW you certainly understand what. The craftsmanship and performance combined sets it apart from **** the vehicle Ill have the rest of my time here uncle jail....

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hello all just joined the site yesterday and now im on break so I'll ask some questions about the 3 series more on the side of a 320 or 328 prefer x drive.
I read a lot of mixed decisions about the reliable , power and so fourth. Right now I'am driving a 14 maxima SV ( 3.5L V6 290 hp and 260lbs of torque) fully loaded , i find myself to not like sporty vehicles the power is awesome , the suspension is tight and firm but all honestly there is really no need for it in my opinion taking trips yearly to Florida i prefer a nice quiet cabin with goodies followed by a fuel saver.
Talking to a few BMW owners one day while shopping and all of them had no mechanical issues with there vehicles but they told me they are un-reliable due to do door not locking, dome light flickering, gps is slow and hard to follow (this was back in 2012-2013). So i think to myself all people today think cars are un-reliable due to some flaws in the accessories department lol. Growing up a vehicle is considered un-reiable due engine problems and so fourth.
Here are some questions i have for the 320/328.

1). I want to have one for a long term (at least 10yrs 120k miles) how do they stack up to the competition? (Audi , lexus).

3) In recent years what do you say bmw's reliable is? Mechanical issues. Yes i understand that every car is different

4) With my maxima the heated/cool heats only warm your butt, do bmw warm/cool your lower lumbar in additon to your butt? Sorry thats the one flaw i have with the maxima.

No, I dont think you should buy a BMW since you stated you dont like or see a need for sporty vehicles. The part I bolded above in your quote says to me that BMW is probably not the right brand for you (I dont mean that in a bad way, every car is not for every person).

I am not going to bother answering the other questions because the base question was is this the right car for you, and I dont think so.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,790 Posts
No, I dont think you should buy a BMW since you stated you dont like or see a need for sporty vehicles. The part I bolded above in your quote says to me that BMW is probably not the right brand for you (I dont mean that in a bad way, every car is not for every person).

I am not going to bother answering the other questions because the base question was is this the right car for you, and I dont think so.
Agreed. The very definition of a BMW 3 Series is "sport sedan".

·
Registered
17 Posts
I came from Infiniti G37 which is similar to your Maxima. I loved its raw power, quick acceleration of line, abundance of high tech convenience. Now I'm in a 328i. What I love about this car in comparison with G37 is silky smooth engine, nice handling, linear acceleration, and comfortable ride. It's such a different car. I love my 30 minute commute that's a little sanctuary from daily hustle and bustle. I don't miss the jumpy, gas-guzzling G37 one bit. And my car, bought new in 2014, hasn't given me one trouble so far. Just free oil changes had been all that were needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BMW is not a 10 year car unless you plan to spend lots of money and/or time on them. It's not unusual to see a 10 year old Lexus IS 250 for sale with 150K+ miles on it and still demanding a high price. BMW is not Lexus. They are simply not designed for reliability. A BMW is designed to last for the duration of the factory warranty without too much trouble, and the maybe duration of the extended warranty, but at 100K miles chances are it'll be ready to be shot. For the long term, stay away from German cars in general - go with Japanese or Korean. All the data supports what I'm saying.

·
Jayhawk Fan
1,834 Posts
classic troll; well done my friend

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Any car including those and BMW can be made to run for 20 years or 200,000 miles or more IF you are willing to keep up with maintenance and fix problems as they arise.

There are tradeoffs with every option. Yes awd takes a bit more fuel, gives a bigger turning circle and makes the car sit a bit higher. Benefit is improved traction in certain situations.

As reliable as other luxury cars if you keep up with repairs and maintenance.

That sentence makes no sense. If you are asking whether BMW seats can be heated the answer is yes. Very effective.

·
Abuser of everything
3,521 Posts
Any car including those and BMW can be made to run for 20 years or 200,000 miles or more IF you are willing to keep up with maintenance and fix problems as they arise.
Sure, but they are nowhere equal on costs to repair. And long term, those repairs come quicker in a BMW than most other brands. I had $8237 of repairs/maintenance between 50-85K and it was not because "they were not fixed as they arised." My best examples are the Steptronic and the valve cover gasket. They were repaired TWICE, one on warranty and the second time to my expense, including the plastic valve cover itself reported "warped". All kind of stupid nonsense. :banghead:

Should i buy a bmw?
No, better LEASE a new Bmw (at least in the USA).

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
BMW is not a 10 year car unless you plan to spend lots of money and/or time on them. It's not unusual to see a 10 year old Lexus IS 250 for sale with 150K+ miles on it and still demanding a high price. BMW is not Lexus. They are simply not designed for reliability. A BMW is designed to last for the duration of the factory warranty without too much trouble, and the maybe duration of the extended warranty, but at 100K miles chances are it'll be ready to be shot. For the long term, stay away from German cars in general - go with Japanese or Korean. All the data supports what I'm saying.
Hey link us to those 10 yr old Lexus IS 250 selling @ fabulous prices.

Wouldja?

One does not buy Lexus for performance. No. One buys for reliability, nobody argues that. Maybe the most reliable ride, Lexus competes with Honda there.

·
Supporting Bimmerfest
588 Posts
classic troll; well done my friend
The then data is a troll too.
Please provide links to the data you make claim to, that backs your statements above.

This should be interesting....

·
Registered
73 Posts
You don't buy a BMW because it's a luxe, quiet cruiser with recliner seats that warm both your butt and lower back, with extraordinary reliability to boot. Get a Lexus.

·
Officially Something ...
393 Posts
Try it ...

1) Very good;
2) Yes, but ever so slightly;
3) Very good;
4) A little [open the window for the cooling effect.]

Buy one. You will love it.

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you for all your replies, I've always assume that a BMW was more of a comfront and enjoyable ride than a sporty vehicle.

My max must have a problem with the heated/cooled seats due to only my bottom gets comfortable while my lower lumbar is hot/cold.

I love the exterior design and interior design of the 3 series .

And yes with the regular maintenance at the right time any vehicle can be just has reliable has the next.

I just join the site because there is so many bimmer posts stating that its cheap made, motor knocking etc.....of course these vehicles posting by op is used. I'am just trying to get a clear judgement.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maxima = FWD
BMW = RWD

You should go and test drive the vehicle then decide whether should you move forward with BMW.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
.... i find myself to not like sporty vehicles the power is awesome , the suspension is tight and firm but all honestly there is really no need for it in my opinion taking trips yearly to Florida i prefer a nice quiet cabin with goodies followed by a fuel saver.
The F30 I4 twin turbo is a great fuel saver, my highway gas mileage is usually above 35mpg in comfort mode.

The F30 OEM tires can be a bit harsh, but now my car has a set of Bridgestone Driveguard RFT and the ride is quiet and compliant.

Mine has base suspension, but coupled with the stiff sidewalls of RFTs plus F30's stiff chassis, the handling is quite competent in my daily routes(highway, twisties, local roads).

So with the right configuration(e.g. base suspension + I4 twin [email protected] + Driveguard + ZF 8AT + RWD), a F30 can be sporty and fuel saving and quiet and compliant.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts