BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this great CPO 2005 325i sedan, but I'm afraid to purchase it because its Carfax report listed it as a Rental car owned by a major rental company. The car has low mileage and the BMW dealership claims that all regular scheduled maintenance has been performed.

Should I take the risk (that it may break down when the odometer hits 100,001 miles)? :dunno:

·
1,343 Posts
It's a hard decision. I think someone who would pay the extra money for a bmw probably wouldnt beat on it. The cheaper cars probably get beat more.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,903 Posts
The odds are high the car will be fine. I would say it is a positive sign that BMW CPO'd it.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I wouldnt touch a rental. Period.
Where do you think people get the cars they drive to the autocross events that are out of town :)

Course neons are the most popular rental for autocrossing.

·
1,343 Posts
I wouldnt touch a rental. Period.
Where do you think people get the cars they drive to the autocross events that are out of town :)

Course neons are the most popular rental for autocrossing.
Yeah but when they're in town they drive their cars, and they hold up just fine. Your car is cpo'd anyway I'd say go for it. Most people who would spend the extra cash on rental for a bmw probably are older and aren't into cars at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found this great CPO 2005 325i sedan, but I'm afraid to purchase it because its Carfax report listed it as a Rental car owned by a major rental company. The car has low mileage and the BMW dealership claims that all regular scheduled maintenance has been performed.

Should I take the risk (that it may break down when the odometer hits 100,001 miles)? :dunno:
I would be very careful. Understand the BMW CPO warranty has a long list of items that are NOT covered. There is also something like a $50 up front charge (deductable) on all repairs you pay out of pocket each time you get work done. I believe you also need to take it to the dealer for service or you void your warranty.

CPO cars usually cost more to purchase than non-CPO. Given all this, along with the fact you are buying a former rental car....I'm not sure it's such a good deal.

Good Luck with your decision.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I've beat on a lot of rentals in my time, but I've never done anything that would cause permanent damage. Maybe just some excessive tire or brake wear.

For the right price, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The odds are high the car will be fine. I would say it is a positive sign that BMW CPO'd it.
Sorry, but CPO means close to nothing, it's just a check the box that a dealer does to sell the car with an extended warranty if it falls within certain parameters of mileage and age. Yes they pay some amount to CPO it, but they obviously price it into the sale.

I beat the crap out of rentals (right or wrong , I enjoy it...). Hertz once gave me a shiny new M45 with 112 miles on the clock and I didn't do a single thing right to it - think sideways, white smoking tires and repeated redlines on horrible pothole ridden roads in Boston. Net net, the e46s are easier and easier to find these days so you should wait for the right car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any used car is a little bit of a crapshoot. Whether a car was a rental or not, there's a chance that someone abused it. Most rentals end up in the hands of a typical businessman on a trip day in and day out -- not guys like Getsmmr. ;)

One of my two vehicles, a Toyota Highlander, is a former rental. It was in impeccable condition and has possibly been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Since it was a rental, it had a fair number of miles for being one year old, meaning I got a huge discount on a nearly-new vehicle. I don't regret buying it one bit. But on the other hand, nobody's going to autocross a midsize SUV or rent it to live out their race car driver fantasies.

If it was me, I'd still consider buying it, but I'd inspect it with a fine-toothed comb and see if I might be able to use the former rental status as a bargaining chip to nudge the price down.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Any used car is a little bit of a crapshoot. Whether a car was a rental or not, there's a chance that someone abused it. Most rentals end up in the hands of a typical businessman on a trip day in and day out -- not guys like Getsmmr. ;)

One of my two vehicles, a Toyota Highlander, is a former rental. It was in impeccable condition and has possibly been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Since it was a rental, it had a fair number of miles for being one year old, meaning I got a huge discount on a nearly-new vehicle. I don't regret buying it one bit. But on the other hand, nobody's going to autocross a midsize SUV or rent it to live out their race car driver fantasies.

If it was me, I'd still consider buying it, but I'd inspect it with a fine-toothed comb and see if I might be able to use the former rental status as a bargaining chip to nudge the price down.
FWIW - at the time I had my fun with the rental, I was on business as a 27 year old investment banker. I normally get upgrades to the presidential lane (or whatever it's called) and am usually not much nicer to the cars after a long day with my "clients"... That said SkyDog's point is a good one - as long as you can price in any abuse the car has had, there may be a deal to be had if it's considerably less than the plethora of available e46s out there...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Your from California, there has to be thousands of used and cpo BMWs down there. If you have misgivings find a different one. Just because someone checks the box on the cpo checklist doesn't mean they checked the item on the car, a cpo car may be only as good as the dealer who sells it.

It may be a good idea to spend a few extra bucks and get a good independent BMW mechanic to check over whatever you want to buy. If the dealer or owner is reluctant to let you do that find another car to buy.

Be careful and good luck. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
HONESTLY NOOOOOOOOO!!!
lets see i've spent 3 years driving rental cars (due to 100% traveling for work)... and honestly.. YOU DON'T want ONE... people abuse the cars ... my coworkers are all engineers/saints/popes whatever... and at the end of the day.. you do things to a rental you would never do to your own car... because it ISN"T your own car!

when was the last time any person detailed their rental car/changed its oil/etc (yes they get serviced i know, but all the rental car companies care about is getting the car to 25k miles and then hopefully selling it! )!?!?! my honest opinion (And i have nothing to gain from this) is to NOT BUY IT.

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
I would be very careful. Understand the BMW CPO warranty has a long list of items that are NOT covered. There is also something like a $50 up front charge (deductable) on all repairs you pay out of pocket each time you get work done. I believe you also need to take it to the dealer for service or you void your warranty.

CPO cars usually cost more to purchase than non-CPO. Given all this, along with the fact you are buying a former rental car....I'm not sure it's such a good deal.

Good Luck with your decision.
:stupid:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts