BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2001 X5, 3.0 liter, with 95 thousand miles....has been BMR dealer serviced....price is 18K...should I buy?....am I geting into trouble maintenance wise?...please give my your advice.

BMRJohn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh boy!!! Let me do anything I can to convince you NOT to buy that car! I just got rid of my 2001 3.0i X5 yesterday that had 80,000 on it. It has been the worst experience of my car buying life! The car was only 5 years old and has had tons and tons of things go wrong with it...and not because of lack of maintenance. It was CONSTANTLY in the shop for MAJOR malfuctions and had to be serviced by the dealer because the problems were so complicated, a regular shop could not accurately diagnose the problems. Here's a small list of what has gone wrong in just the past year:

2 window regulators went out
DSC computer failed and needed to be replaced
air conditioning completely failed and needed to be replaced
brake lights failed and needed to be replaced (not the bulb, but the whole unit)
steering sensors failed and needed to be replaced

The original retail in 2001 was $54,000 because it had tons of upgrades and was truly a beautiful car. I got $14,000 in trade for it yesterday and that was the highest bid I got...low bid was $11,000. The car will only continue to greatly depreciate because, rumor has it, that a new body style is coming out. If you look through these boards, you will see how unhappy so many other 2001 X5 owners have been. Don't be suckered in by how amazing it looks...do your research and then by a Toyota. :p

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
What kind of mods?

Sounds like the stole that truck from you- it's definately worth more than that unless you had some serious mods that hurt your value. If you did, I hope you realize that they are the reason the car was worth less. If not, I don't know what to tell you.

·
RetiredBum
849 Posts
Not sure I'd be real interested in any car with 95K on
the dial, regardless of pedigree.

BMW "serviced" can mean anything, nothing or, the bare
bones annual oil change, etc.

You can find '01s with less than half that mileage in the mid $20s.

I like our '01 X a lot, but I would not own it w/out some kind of
warranty on the beast.
My 2Cts...
GL,mD

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,042 Posts
Remember that an awful lot of BMW's are leased (including my 2), so a lot of original owners really don't worry about longevity. And while new BMW's include free scheduled maintenance, some of the intervals are a little scary. How about 15,000 miles between oil changes? Or even worse, "lifetime fill" on transmission fluids and diff fluids.

Sad to say I really don't GAS since I'll be out of the lease at the end of 3 years.

If I wanted to make a BMW last 200,000 miles, I prolly could - but I would be changing the oil every 5,000 miles, and changing the tranny and diff fluids at least every 30,000 miles. What do you think the odds are that the prior owner(s) of "your" 2001 did that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts