Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! I would appreciate some advice on this subject as I have no experience with BMWs let alone buying one that is 15+ years old. I have found a 2002 540i msport that has <100k miles and a decent price. The seller acquired it from someone 4 years ago and has had the following work done:
Suspension work
Valve cover
timing chain cover gaskets
Spark plugs
water pump/thermostat
Radiator expansion tank

What other repairs should I anticipate do to after buying, and an idea of the cost? I am not handy with this stuff so probably will get these done at a shop. I am getting a prepurchase inspection but interested in hearing what the real experiences have been. Is it even worth buying?

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should I buy this e39 540i msport?

Hello folks! I would appreciate some advice on this subject as I have no experience with BMWs let alone buying one that is 15+ years old. I have found a 2002 540i msport that has <100k miles and a decent price. The seller acquired it from someone 4 years ago and has had the following work done:
Suspension work
Valve cover
timing chain cover gaskets.
Spark plugs
water pump/thermostat
Radiator expansion tank

What other repairs should I anticipate do to after buying, and an idea of the cost? I am not handy with this stuff so probably will get these done at a shop. I am getting a prepurchase inspection but interested in hearing what the real experiences have been. Is it even worth buying

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you

·
Registered
449 Posts
First things first...
If you are in the United States, it's not an M-Sport, just a sport.
These are quirky but fun cars to own.
At first glance it looks like the common problem areas have been addressed and the list makes good ad copy. However, What brand parts are installed?
Exactly what suspension work?
Timing chain cover gaskets? Why? Upper or lower? if lower, did the PO replace the timing chain and guides?
Water pump? did it overheat?
These cars can be expensive to maintain if you can't do your own maintenance.
Keeping ahead of maintenance is definitely a must do... They can be reliable but don't tolerate neglect well. They are not a Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Suspension work
Valve cover
timing chain cover gaskets
Spark plugs
water pump/thermostat
Radiator expansion tank

What other repairs should I anticipate do to after buying, and an idea of the cost? I am not handy with this stuff so probably will get these done at a shop. I am getting a prepurchase inspection but interested in hearing what the real experiences have been. Is it even worth buying?

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you
I bought my 99 w/ 199k on it. The previous owner did all the usual replacement stuff and rebuilt the front end. It is a 540i sport w/ 6 speed. It is a very fun car to drive, just make sure you get all the records, Mine just went over 209,000 miles yesterday, runs great, I paid just under 5k for mine.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
How much less than a 100K.
If the timing chain guides haven't been changed that's a $2.5K to $3.5K job depending on where you take it to be done. At the dealer it's probably a $4K job.
Guides can last from 100K to over 200K, depends mostly on oil change intervals. The 15K oil changes are BS, should be done at 7.5K or less.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
How much less than a 100K.
If the timing chain guides haven't been changed that's a $2.5K to $3.5K job depending on where you take it to be done. At the dealer it's probably a $4K job.
Guides can last from 100K to over 200K, depends mostly on oil change intervals. The 15K oil changes are BS, should be done at 7.5K or less.
I sure hope you are right. If so I will sleep better knowing that. I do reg oil changes. I'm at 136k and have the timing chain gasket leak. Hate the leak but been puting off until the guides start failing.

·
Under the lift arms
12,946 Posts
the last 7 of the vin will have all the information on the car..

If you can post it i will share what options the car has

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great car if you DIY ;) I didn't see valley pan replacement and timing chain guide goes at around 150K. Miss my 2000 BMW 540i 6sp :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 2001 540i Sport Package in 2005 with 37K miles and own it today with 125K.
You couldn't give me a brand new 2018 Dodge Challenger in trade as there is simply nothing like driving a 540i with a sport package.
The balance, agility and engineering of this ride is amazing.
To very quickly tell if an E39 is a sport package, look at the window trim. Non sport models have chrome around the door widows while the sport has black trim (and 17" wheels).
Buy it, especially if it's a 6-sp manual.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought my 2001 540i Sport Package in 2005 with 37K miles and own it today with 125K.
You couldn't give me a brand new 2018 Dodge Challenger in trade as there is simply nothing like driving a 540i with a sport package.
The balance, agility and engineering of this ride is amazing.
To very quickly tell if an E39 is a sport package, look at the window trim. Non sport models have chrome around the door widows while the sport has black trim (and 17" wheels).
Buy it, especially if it's a 6-sp manual.
it should also have an M steering wheel, shfter and wheels. Mine also came with all M floor mats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts