BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my car service is looking like right now, The last service was done on 03.03.2020 at 27418 km, Today the car is sitting at 30689 km, not much driving this past year because of Covid, so my question is should i go and get the oil changed? The car is showing a message that says I should go get it the oil changed but i just want to know if it is necessary or not.
The car is a 17' BMW 3 series 318i with a b38 engine.

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,891 Posts
No. You’ll be fine to go at least another six months. Don’t tell anyone, but I’m a low mileage driver and I once went two years between oil changes.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
No. If you bring your oil now and then to operating temperature, you are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The only reason to do it now would be to maintain the warranty. If the warranty has expired then don't bother. But do try to drive your car for a full hour at least every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason to do it now would be to maintain the warranty. If the warranty has expired then don't bother. But do try to drive your car for a full hour at least every 2 weeks.
Thanks everyone.
Do you mean that I should go for a non-stop drive that is 1 hour long? or just 1 hour in total? and as for the warranty it has expired.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure if this still applies for newer BMWs, but I remember being told by a Service Advisor (and also from reading various threads in this forum) that our cars don't do well when driven on primarily very short drives (e.g., 5 min drives at lower speeds). Engine oil doesn't get up to temperature and battery performance degrades. I had a very short work commute on residential streets when I had my 2008 535i and the battery didn't hold up. After changing the battery, I bought a battery tender and used it weekly when I couldn't take longer trips on the highway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cold engines produce water via condensation (think cold water in a glass). The water is in the oil and evaporates once it heats up properly. If you keep going on short drives, the water doesn't get to evap. Water is not a good lube for engines. You don't need to run it for an hour if you're taking it on the highway or sustained runs. Sitting in traffic or idling heats up slower of course.

As far as such short oil changes, my last oil change was at 9000 miles, which works out to 14,484.1 KM, lol. Not saying you should always go that long (i'm not familiar with your engine) but I'm pretty sure you can go much much longer with full synthetic.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Thanks everyone.
Do you mean that I should go for a non-stop drive that is 1 hour long? or just 1 hour in total? and as for the warranty it has expired.
A nonstop drive to thoroughly warm the oil...yes it takes a while. And to charge the battery. And to just enjoy the BMW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts