BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly with the shadowline package I PERSONALLY like the front grill and love the styling. The sound seems great through videos and the tech looks nice.

My biggest concern, if I get all season tires (18 inch tires?) how will this thing handle in winter on the snow in northern Ohio. It would be a lease so I would only need the tires to last me 3 years at least and I drive maybe 10k miles a year so not a huge amount of wear on them.

It's either going to be this or the new Acura TLX Type S also with all season tires.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,931 Posts
Are you planning to get xDrive? If so, you can probably get away with all seasons.

btw - the M440i is a G22, not an F series.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you planning to get xDrive? If so, you can probably get away with all seasons.

btw - the M440i is a G22, not an F series.
Luckily the M440i only comes with the xdrive. And I had 0 idea ha. I did not know what G or F even meant with BMW. Thanks.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,931 Posts
Get the Bimmer, you’ll enjoy it more than the Acura.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome! I love sports sedans but maybe also consider the X3 M40i if you anticipate driving in snow. From what I hear, it's a beast of a SAV.

·
Registered
11,667 Posts
The all-season tires will be the weakest link of the car all year. M440i's are powerful, what an M3 was just a few years ago. 380 h.p. going through all-season run-flat tires is a waste of that engine. You might as well get a 430i.

You might be able to add a set of real winter tires and wheels as part of the lease, so you'd only have to pay for about half of what they cost.

30k miles would probably wear out a set of high-performance tires. BMW FS's definition of worn out is any channel having less than 4/32" of tread left. Keeping the winter tires on in the winter would extend the life of high-performance tires. If a separate set of winter tires and wheels lets you avoid having to replace a set of high-performance tires before lease turn-in, they'd just about pay for themselves.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The M440i would be an amazing ride. Under lease, there is no worry about reliability, depreciation, or other issues/concerns. In that case, I would definitely go for the BMW over the Acura. Nothing like the prestige, class, looks, power, and other features of the BMW of that category.

As others have said, winter/summer combination would be good, given that you have snow/ice. I think all-season is perfectly fine and adequate if you have Xdrive from the perspective of snow and cold (based on personal experience with X-drive in Canada). Perhaps a performance all-season would be a decent choice (not run flats though - those are terrible). But even then, winter/summer is ideal to get the best of both worlds.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,091 Posts
Firstly with the shadowline package I PERSONALLY like the front grill and love the styling. The sound seems great through videos and the tech looks nice.

My biggest concern, if I get all season tires (18 inch tires?) how will this thing handle in winter on the snow in northern Ohio. It would be a lease so I would only need the tires to last me 3 years at least and I drive maybe 10k miles a year so not a huge amount of wear on them.

It's either going to be this or the new Acura TLX Type S also with all season tires.
My 328 has 18" A/S tires with xDrive, and I've had no problems with snow. I've had 0 issues driving in winter snow since I got the car in January '15. I avoid going out in heavier snow, but only because of the sedan ground clearance, whereas my other cars are SUVs. Actually, the BMW handles better in snow than my Mazda CX-9 with 20" tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts

My biggest concern, if I get all season tires (18 inch tires?) how will this thing handle in winter on the snow in northern Ohio.
I have a 2019 440i xdrive convertible with stock 18" wheels. Drives great in snow in New York state

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a 2019 440i xdrive convertible with stock 18" wheels. Drives great in snow in New York state.
What tires are you running?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts