BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Really looking for thoughts on this subject. Facts are these:

I have a 2013 BMW 535xi- mfg warranty expires oct 1, 2016 (2 weeks) The car has 32,000 miles

I just had the dealer do a complimentary 60 point inspection and they said the car had no issues at all.

I have a confirmed quote ($4400) of the platinum extended warranty that gives me three extra years or up to 70,000 miles. almost everything is covered including electronics and stereo.

I have been going back and forth after reading the comments on the forum- and landed on the idea that people are 50/50 on if you should buy one.

But just yesterday I realized that since I drive the car for only 7 months out of the year (winter) I will only be putting 7,000 miles per year on it. So at the end of the warranty period it will have appox 53,000 miles on it.

Im starting to lean toward not getting the warranty and keeping the 4400 aside for repairs...and of course taking my chances on the possibility of a major issue that would be very costly.

Please let me know what your thoughts are- Thanks much Rick

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
53,000 miles?

It is your car and your driving habits and your maintenance --- if it was my car, and with my knowledge of how I maintain my cars, I would not even consider spending the money. And if I was a hard driver, I still wouldn't consider it unless I had problems in the first 32,000 miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Trian

The 53,000 miles it what i think the car will have on it after the 3 year extended warranty would expire. It has 32000 miles now.

I bought the car with 20000 miles and have had 0 issues with -

I have had it maintained on the regular BMW schedule.

Definitely leaning to not getting it now.

Thanks again, Rick

·
just like that, he's gone
2016 BMW 535 M-Sport
1,696 Posts
My warranty just popped a few days ago (2013 535 ordered new back in 2012, only 23k miles now) and I'm just gonna take my chances going forward since I've had zero probs with the car and I'm too lazy and unmotivated to get anything else right now.

I think the worst case apocalyptic scenario would be the turbos blowing up and/or taking the engine out with them. I have no idea how much that would cost to address though in either iteration. If you are willing to assume risk and are okay with potential $2k+ expenses randomly popping up don't rule it out. If these were V8's I'd probably get the warranty just in case.

Normal stuff like brakes/maintenance I don't care about paying my indy to take care of. I would assume these cars will need walnut blasting by 75k miles as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just depends on how risk averse you are really. Some people would rather pay a fixed fee and be guaranteed no further expenses and some would rather save the fee and take the chance.

Personally I like warranty now as I can sleep easier at night but I spent my first ten years without.

When things break and you're not covered, your heart sinks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts