BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm have been shopping around and I can't decide what to get. I have been looking for used GX470 08-09 and also BMW X5 08-10

Do you think the price is good? What yr BMW should I get
2008 BMW X5 3.0si - $39,591
Mileage: 47,896
BMW Certified
BMW Factory-Backed Warranty with coverage for 6 years or 100,000 total vehicle miles
Zcp Cold Weather Pkg (Includes Heated Seats), -Zpp Premium Pkg, -Zrc Rear Climate Pkg, -Ztp Technology Pkg (Includes Navi),

We are looking for 7seater. Are BMW seats small in 3rd row? I know they are only for kids. Will the kids be ok in the back?

Pics are blow.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know about the price but I'll answer your question about the 7 seats.

I have the 3rd row. It is small but fits kids well. According to the manual you can't put convertible car seats back there so if you have very young children they should not be there. It fits my 6 year old perfectly and probably for another 5-6 years depending how tall your kids are. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
kids only or an adult for very short trip.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Out here in the CA bay area '08 3.0's are running between $34 - $43K with roughly the same mileage. So your price is in the ballpark, however you can probably get it down by $2K or so. You may want to drive the GX470 and XC90 before you buy the X5 just to get an idea of how they compare. Both have three rows that might offer a bit more space.:angel:

·
Registered
395 Posts
The X5's 3rd row is smaller than most SUVs in this class. You should look at the Acura MDX as their 3rd row is a littlt bit more roomy, and alot cheaper. I'd pass on the GX, very thirsty and drives like a couch on wheels.

·
Registered
385 Posts
"You should look at the Acura MDX as their 3rd row is a little bit more roomy, and alot cheaper. I'd pass on the GX, very thirsty and drives like a couch on wheels"..quite accurate...the MDX is great. The GX is a scary-dangerous vehicle to drive if pushed at all to its limits...extremely top and front-end heavy; roll-over much?. Third row in X5 is decidedly temporary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
"You should look at the Acura MDX as their 3rd row is a little bit more roomy, and alot cheaper. I'd pass on the GX, very thirsty and drives like a couch on wheels"..quite accurate...the MDX is great. The GX is a scary-dangerous vehicle to drive if pushed at all to its limits...extremely top and front-end heavy; roll-over much?. Third row in X5 is decidedly temporary.
Something to consider is that a rear end collision (40+ mph) would likely be fatal for those in the 3rd row (e.g. someone hitting you from behind when you are at a stoplight or when you have to suddenly stop for traffic). There's not as much 'cushion' behind the 3rd row as there is a full-sized SUV (e.g.; Yukon).

I agree with the MDX recommendation. I have one and it drives nicely. On the occasions when I needed it the third row is relatively easy to access. From a handling/performance standpoint the BMW would get my first place vote. If you're going off-road then you may want to consider the GX470. It's a body on frame design (like the 4Runner) and provides true 4x4 capabilities. One big negative, IMO, for the Lexus is that the hatch door is hinged on the side (like a barn door). If you frequently parallel park or spend a lot of time in city rear access can be challenging. You'll have to prioritize what's important to you but for overall bang-for-the-buck the MDX is hard to beat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The X5's 3rd row is smaller than most SUVs in this class. You should look at the Acura MDX as their 3rd row is a littlt bit more roomy, and alot cheaper. I'd pass on the GX, very thirsty and drives like a couch on wheels.
I am in the same situation but am concerned about 3rd row in X5d. Problem is MDX is 16/21 and real world MPG seems poor. X5d is 19/26 with possibly better real world MPG, but 3rd row seems like an afterthought at best (but driving experience is much better!). It would be a low easier for me if the MDX was more fuel efficient. I may hold off until MDX redesign next year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any data to back up this statement. A little over the top don't you think?
No data so, you're right, I shouldn't have made that statement. But sit in the 3rd row and look over your shoulder and you'll begin to appreciate just how close the front grill of a truck would be if they couldn't stop in time. How do you think you'd do in the 3rd row after being rear ended at 40+ mph?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd be scared ****less. But that goes for being in the third row of an MDX or q7 as well. The x5 is no less safe than those two.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you really want the X5, then the 3rd row will be fine for the kids; but as stated before, adults at the back will be very uncomfortable. For space, there are many better SUV's that offer 7 seats. If you want space on a bimmer, get the 7 series LWB :rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
We just got our x5 last month. We looked at the MDX, q7, and x5. After driving the MDX I thought we were going to buy it for sure. We drove the x5 last and it was all over after that. Drive them both. If you don't appreciate the BMW driving feel then the MDX is a no brainer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I purchased my white alpine , $ 39750 with 25,500 mils CERTIFICAT
08' X5 3.0 with navi, rear seats entertainment dvd, rear climate control ,
cold pkg - front, premium pkg, runing boards, panoramic roof ,
I was lucky becose sales women make a mistake , final price wase 41k then I spoke with her superviser and hi ses they dont wona loose costumer for $250 and we ended on
$40750 , at this point print out was for 41k and she took off 250 from 40k not 41k by mistake , the final price $39750 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I no , I was VERY LUCKY
good luck and ALWAYS drop 3-4k from asking price.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Unsure myself

In a similar situation myself sans kids. Lease is up on current ride soon just looked at an 08 X5 4.8 loaded w/every option (except 3rd row). 32k miles priced at $46k...any thoughts on that price from those that have recently purchased CPO.

·
2012 X5 xDrive35i
81 Posts
We just got our x5 last month. We looked at the MDX, q7, and x5. After driving the MDX I thought we were going to buy it for sure. We drove the x5 last and it was all over after that. Drive them both. If you don't appreciate the BMW driving feel then the MDX is a no brainer.
I did the same thing, and like you, I came to the instant conclusion that the X5 was the only one that had a real connection with the driver. The best people mover that I tested was the Volvo XC90, which is substantially cheaper (at least $10K), and offers most of the features (sans performance) that the X5 has.

In fact, if Volvo had bothered to keep up with the times and updated their very tired XC90 design (like they did with the phenominal XC60) then I would have easily jumped into the XC90 over the X5.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The V8 XC90 "Sport" does give you a significant performance increase -- but at a cost for fuel economy (like a X5 4.8). Another excellent 3rd rower is one of the GM trio, Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia etc. are very good -- but not performers.:thumbup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
If the third row is a high priority then have a look at the GL. Hands down the best third row in the class and is also offered in diesel if gas mileage matters.

·
2012 X5 xDrive35i
81 Posts
If the third row is a high priority then have a look at the GL. Hands down the best third row in the class and is also offered in diesel if gas mileage matters.
Sure, if money is no object :) $60K for the base model with lousy fuel economy... nty.

The X5 is a very nice compromise, if you don't mind the extra $10K BMW premium. C'mon Volvo, update your XC90!! I'm certain it will steal a ton of business from BMW once they do. The XC60 is already giving the X3 a serious run for it's money.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sure, if money is no object :) $60K for the base model with lousy fuel economy... nty.

The X5 is a very nice compromise, if you don't mind the extra $10K BMW premium. C'mon Volvo, update your XC90!! I'm certain it will steal a ton of business from BMW once they do. The XC60 is already giving the X3 a serious run for it's money.
Not sure what you're talking about. The GL is only $8K more than the X5 here. It's a true 7 seater compared to the X5 and gets the same gas mileage in both diesel variants. Well worth the premium if a true third row is a requirment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts