BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Am seriously considering getting a sweet looking, Alpine White 318ci (dont need the extra power at this point!).

First off, the price. The dealer is asking USD 27.500 for the car. It comes with the following:

It has 29,000 KM on it and is due for Service II at about 42,000 KM I think
Xenons
Beige Leather with Walnut Trim
6 CD Changer
Manual Seats
Sunroof
And the usual standard features I guess
Condition is immaculate inside and out
It is covered under warranty till Sept 2007 (since it was first registered in 2004)

I will be getting it checked at BMW prior to buying it, if I decide I really want it.

Now for my questions which I hope you can answer :)

1. I have read many posts here where users says never drive the BMW out of warranty. Since warranty runs out for me in a year, what do you suggest? I have heard other people also say that their cars run with any issues well into 6-7 years.. I hope to keep this car for about 7 years and then sell it, so would appreciate your advice.

2. I plan to service the BMW at an indep BMW garage after warranty so that should reduce cost

3. How often do the following need to be changed (assuming normal driving):

- Brake pads (about 40-60,000 KM depending on how car is driven)
- Rotors (mechanic told me about 100,000 KM + if cars driven normally)
- Shocks/Struts etc (was told after 125,000 KM)

4. What are expensive maintenance items to watch out for after the 60,000 KM mark (and after warranty expires)?

5. What is the recommended oil change interval by BMW users? I heard 10,000 KM is optimal? (though BMW says about 17000 KM)??

6. Is the 318 ci 4 cyl engine known to be trouble free and durable? My mech told me these engines go to 300,000 KM easily if taken care of...?

7. I have read posts about the tranny going on BMWs. Does that apply for the car I am considering? Again, mechanic said the tranny should last well into 225, 000 KM with good care and driving.

8. Are there any major troublespots with this car I should know about? I also assume that since its the last of the E46 model, they should have got most of the problems sorted?

Again, I would like your expert advice whether its worth getting this car or not. I dont mind higher than average car maintenance for a BMW, but I dont want to be stuck with huge repair bills after the warranty, thats not cool!!

Thanks for much for your help guys!

P.S. Other car I liked was the Audi A4 but gave that up considering its front wheel drive didnt allw BMW type handling and that new 7 speed tramsmission was weird and had a serious lag from stop.

If this BMW is not advisable, then I might just have to go in for a loaded Accord and then see what other coupes are on the market in a few years (not too impressed by the new 2007 BMW 3 coupe)

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
i don't believe that a 1.9L/1.8L engine e46 was ever sold in canada

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, actually I am overseas now in the Middle East, Dubai for an extended contract :D You do get this model here. Cars are usually priced a bit higher than N. America Ive found.. :(

Any advice pple?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
bmwdxb said:
Oh, actually I am overseas now in the Middle East, Dubai for an extended contract :D You do get this model here. Cars are usually priced a bit higher than N. America Ive found.. :(

Any advice pple?
in dubai eh. then you shouldn't settle for anything less than a 330 :eeps:. from what i've heard, people only drive/own the top end models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe, yah but it is quite hard to get the 330s here and I need a car soon! Also, the convertible is my fav but none to be found this year with reasonable mileage...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually you get a whole range of models here for all makes.. and the funny thing is the specs for Gulf cars is many times lower than NA specs, like smaller engines etc, and different models cuz many people dont wanna spend much on cars here due to lower resale values... Go figure!

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
Isn't the E46 kinda heavy for a 4 cyl?

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
hockeynut said:
Isn't the E46 kinda heavy for a 4 cyl?
depends on how fast you want/need to accelerate i guess. here 3 "horsepower" was sufficient for a 7-series. :eeps::eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, its quite fast actually, I was surprised myself.. more than enough for me for now :D Untill I can afford the M3 that is...

Waiting for someone to help me out now with my questions :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts