BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 3 year lease on my 328i is up in December, and I was considering a 2003 330xi. Living in Boston, the AWD seems like a good idea, even though I haven't bought snows (my rationale: it's a lease car that I won't keep), which everyone tells me I really should do. I put minimal miles on my car annually (only 12K now after 3 years, a little lower than usual but not by much) and it's in good shape. I'm certainly not unhappy with the 328i, but I've been leasing for years so it's almost automatic for me to just turn it in for a new one every 3 years.

What is the real difference between the 2000 328i and the 2003 330xi other than AWD (and the stupid 3rd headrest in back)? If the difference is minimal, should I just buy my current car (resid $26,700) and some snows? Or is AWD or some other differences I don't know about make it worth getting the 330xi?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
George02138 said:
only 12K now after 3 years
Yikes! I have 12K in 7 months!

Personally, I'd just get some snows. I don't like the idea of increased ride height and less sporty suspension that the xi brings with it. YMMV.

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
I just bought out the lease on the Bavarian Princess. I'm just going to keep her forever, make her my daily commuting car. Fox what gets broke, not sweat it too bad over the little dings and scrapes that NYC parking garages always create.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you don't take your car to the race track (lapping days or performance school), 328 is great for the city driving. Keeping in mind that Xi is talller than i/Ci cars, does not look at sleek.

I have 328Ci 2000 and love it. Drove it for last 3 years on all season tires up here in Toronto (10-12 hours north of Boston); no need for snow tires or Xi, unless you live outside the city where snow does not get cleared regularly.

But since I started to take the car to the race track, decided to turn-in my 328Ci for 330Ci 2003 for more overall performance (bigger engine, brakes, rims, firmer suspension with M package). Should be here in about 2 months.

AlexM520
330Ci 2003 (on order)
Jet Black on Black ...... 2nd time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, seems pretty unanimous to keep my 328i! That's kind of surprising given how many people seem to trade in their cars every year or two. If no one can come up with a compelling argument, sounds like I'll take the easy way out and cough up the cash (probably through an equity line on my house at 4%, which makes the interest deductible). My lease isn't up until mid Jan, though, so I'll wait to make sure BMW doesn't suddenly feel the need to offer irresistible deals on leases in Dec.

So assuming I do just purchase my current car, does anyone know if I have to pay the Disposition fee of $350, or do I have to pay that only if I return the car to BMW?

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
NO disposition fee.

DO you have an account at Owner's Circle on www.bmwusa.com ?

Sign up, register your car, and the site has a link that will give you your exact payoff amount, as of today. That's the full, real number, including sales tax.

I just did the process. It's very easy. BMW Financial Services sent me the title in less than a week. I went to the DMV this morning and re-titled the car, and got new plates.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
if you turn that car in to the dealer, he'll be grinning ear to ear knowing how much profit he can make on a car with only 12k on it and the same body style as a new one in the showroom.

You should definitely buy it....place an add and see what kind of numbers you get....if you make a profit....it's all yours, not the dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.