• 3. Take it to the scrap yard :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I'm Ramon and fairly new to the world of BMW. My sister gave me an E46. A white 2005 325Ci coupe with an automatic GM transmission and a M54B25. She did not take very good care of it. Well at least from what I noticed. I was very happy when she outright gave me the car at no cost because I absolutely love the body and the way the car drives.

When I first received the car, I did not work and simply went to school so did not invest much time or money in rehabbing the car. I still go to school and I also own a single cam EM2 Honda. She's bullet proof. I do most the work on the Honda since I can just go to a wrecking yard, but when it comes to major jobs like swapping motors or installing a sport clutch, I have my mechanic friend do it. I'm really thinking of keeping two cars or maybe even just selling the Honda. But, I am wondering if keeping the Beemer would be worth while. I certainly think so, but I would appreciate the view points of others from the world of BMW.

Honestly, the car is simply sitting at my dads house, she's been there covered up for about 3 or 4 years since I first had it towed to her temporary resting spot and it tears me up just knowing I have not moved her. Before I towed the car I would drive it from time to time and there were instances where white smoke would come shooting out the exhaust. My sister blew the head gasket but got it "repaired" and god knows what is up with the transmission. The interior is O.K. but that is the least of my worries. I want to do something about the engine and transmission. Replace the engine with the same M54B25 and a shop offered their service to track down a low mileage engine (supposedly as low as around 60k, but how do your really know? Trace serial # to VIN?) for me within their "network" while also rebuilding the transmission. The dude told me it could be done for something around 5k.

My family thinks I should just sell it, but I want to keep it and fix it since the offers I hear are just simply too low and make me think I should just keep it and work on it (but work on it in it's entirety). They also tried negotiating with me where I'll sell it and buy a similar one that has a manual transmission which seems like a good idea. But no, I'd rather keep this one for now and we'll see when I find one with a manual trans.

I'm thinking of going to that shop to bring this beauty back to life and back on the road. I can work warehouse summers and stack up quite a bit for this beast but I also hope it is not an endless money pit like Scotty Kilmer on youtube claims BMWs are. But, what else might I have to look out for when replacing the engine and transmission. Sensors? electrical components?

So what do we think? What's the verdict? Should I give up on Ol' Lucy and just keep Ethyl? (whispers* NO!)

Thanks in advance.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,250 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest, Ramon!

Fix it. Keep it.
Post your questions in the E46 forum. There's plenty of help there.

Reactions: RamonBenavidez

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,497 Posts
I could tell you junk it but that's not in your heart. I could tell you to sell it but that's not in your heart. The idea is too attractive to keep it. Actually your in a good position in keeping it! If you own a older bmw (I think) it's a requirement that you should have a second car really.
But your young and have lots of time...you'll be keeping out of trouble with all the time you'll be spending keeping that car on the road...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,059 Posts
Congratulations! Best wishes.

Be careful, though, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW. Learn the idiom white-elephant, a gift too expensive to keep.

Reactions: RamonBenavidez
1 - 4 of 4 Posts