Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I applied at my local BMW Dealership for a job last week. I got called in for a interview Friday afternoon. Before I showed up for a interview, I let the Business Development Director (the person that originally emailed me about the job) know that I am still in college and don't want to work over 40 hours a week and more then 8 hours a day. She emailed me back saying she will schedule me for only 5 days and I wont be working more then 40 hours a week. I showed up to the interview Friday, but the person that was supposed to take my interview wasn't there. So, I had to reschedule the interview for Monday for 9:30AM. I show up with my resume (I've worked for other dealerships so this isn't my first sales job) and filled out the in person application. After 5 min, the internet manager showed up and took a15- 20 min interview. Everything in the interview went fine. While we where walking out, she told me the Business Development Director who originally sent me an interview email will contact me for a second interview. On Monday, the business development director was at the Jaguar dealership (part of the dealer family). It's been two days since my first interview. Did the internet manager just say the business development director will call me to set a second interview up as a way of saying "we don't want to move on with you" . After my first interview, I sent a "Thank you for the opportunity" email to both the internet manager and Business director. Should I move on?

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,607 Posts
First off, good luck with your job search. You don't say what type of position you applied for but given the fact you are in college (and I am guessing from your screen name you are 22 years old?), I assume it is fairly low on the dealership food chain. It is entirely possible that the people evaluating candidates have higher priority items on their plate. Let it go 10 days before you start worrying.

That said, maybe your positioning could have been better. It may have been too early in the process to say you are only willing to work limited hours. Rightly or wrongly, your generation is often viewed as "entitled", and if they are interviewing multiple candidates, and three of the candidates are willing to work long hours while you are not, you may have sent the wrong message. If I am the HR person, I am asking myself if you will call in sick or be distracted during mid-terms and finals. I know you were trying to be considerate and professional, but let them get to know you and find a bunch of stuff they like about you before you hit them with a potential deal killer.

A bit of professional advice: Unless you are being recruited by a head-hunter for a particular position, you are always better applying for multiple jobs at the same time. You will find yourself under much less pressure in the interviews if you feel "I don't really need this, as I have 3 more interviews later this week". And you are in a stronger negotiating position when they make you an offer.

Reactions: zod and moosaud1998

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, good luck with your job search. You don't say what type of position you applied for but given the fact you are in college (and I am guessing from your screen name you are 22 years old?), I assume it is fairly low on the dealership food chain. It is entirely possible that the people evaluating candidates have higher priority items on their plate. Let it go 10 days before you start worrying.

That said, maybe your positioning could have been better. It may have been too early in the process to say you are only willing to work limited hours. Rightly or wrongly, your generation is often viewed as "entitled", and if they are interviewing multiple candidates, and three of the candidates are willing to work long hours while you are not, you may have sent the wrong message. If I am the HR person, I am asking myself if you will call in sick or be distracted during mid-terms and finals. I know you were trying to be considerate and professional, but let them get to know you and find a bunch of stuff they like about you before you hit them with a potential deal killer.

A bit of professional advice: Unless you are being recruited by a head-hunter for a particular position, you are always better applying for multiple jobs at the same time. You will find yourself under much less pressure in the interviews if you feel "I don't really need this, as I have 3 more interviews later this week". And you are in a stronger negotiating position when they make you an offer.
I applied for internet sales positions. The hours I would've been working are normal 40 hours a week (1-9 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and 8:30- Not sure on sat). Which I agreed to when the Business Director emailed me back. I have a job right now, but it's not something I really want to do. But then again, I have 1.5-2 years left until I graduate. So, I wouldn't have stayed at BMW for a long time unless I was making a lot of money ($75k/year) or got promoted. Which if I worked there for a year, I doubt I would've gotten promoted that quick. My current job is 4.2 miles away from my house (one way) vs the 18 miles (one way) or the BMW job. It's been 4 days and I have not heard a back yet. So, I'll just apply to other places. I really felt like I would have fit perfectly at the dealerships, oh well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
A friend of my father told me job hunting was like knocking on doors - eventually one will open. I've found it to be a learning experience each time. Hard to know what door suits you best. All the best for finishing school.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of my father told me job hunting was like knocking on doors - eventually one will open. I've found it to be a learning experience each time. Hard to know what door suits you best. All the best for finishing school.
[/QUOTE
Thanks, man! I've got another interview tomorrow at a Jaguar/ Land Rover Dealership tomorrow

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Jobs these days are complicated. These days I think those that act outside of norm get the job. Job were driven by degrees. Now so are driven by experience and those you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jobs these days are complicated. These days I think those that act outside of norm get the job. Job were driven by degrees. Now so are driven by experience and those you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Exactly why sometimes I think getting a degree might not be useful anymore. I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field rather than someone that learned from books.

·
Do You Smell That?
453 Posts
Exactly why sometimes I think getting a degree might not be useful anymore. I'd rather hire someone with experience in the field rather than someone that learned from books.
I thought you were pursuing an accounting career? Or was it just that one exam?

There are no shortcuts. Not taking advantage of school now is short-sighted.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you were pursuing an accounting career? Or was it just that one exam?

There are no shortcuts. Not taking advantage of school now is short-sighted.
That was just an exam. I have to take accounting in order to get my degree in OMIS

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NIU looks decent: Operations Management and Information Systems - NIU - College of Business
Looks like a low end job in the logistics industry though. You're going to need more math to progress.
I think I’ve already done all the math courses. I took majority of the classes at my local community college to save money. I’ll be off to NIU/UIC in the fall of 2021. How’d you know about NIU? Are you living in Chicago?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,002 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Does offer BS and MS. But also certificates in SAS and SAP. I can’t imagine what ends with linear algebra.
Operations Research pays well as a career. The IT stuff are just tools for a good analyst.

Operations research (British English: operational research) (OR) is a discipline that deals with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions.[1] Further, the term operational analysis is used in the British (and some British Commonwealth) military as an intrinsic part of capability development, management and assurance. In particular, operational analysis forms part of the Combined Operational Effectiveness and Investment Appraisals, which support British defence capability acquisition decision-making.

It is often considered to be a sub-field of applied mathematics.[2] The terms management science and decision science are sometimes used as synonyms.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,002 Posts
Operations Research pays well as a career. The IT stuff are just tools for a good analyst.

Operations research (British English: operational research) (OR) is a discipline that deals with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions.[1] Further, the term operational analysis is used in the British (and some British Commonwealth) military as an intrinsic part of capability development, management and assurance. In particular, operational analysis forms part of the Combined Operational Effectiveness and Investment Appraisals, which support British defence capability acquisition decision-making.

It is often considered to be a sub-field of applied mathematics.[2] The terms management science and decision science are sometimes used as synonyms.

Thanks for the citation to the Wikipedia as I appreciate proper use of the Wikipedia (a good investment of mine) and of the citation.

I just looked up at my bookshelf behind my head to see a half dozen texts on linear algebra per se, and then matrix and tensor algebra / calculus is an extension of linear algebra. Bayesian inference with high dimensiona arguments is the key to big data. My last to ever be purchased math textbook is Probabliity Theory: The Logic of Science (2003, Cambridge) by E. T. Jaynes, Edwin Thompson Jaynes.

I never got to meet E. T. Jaynes but I know that I would have enjoyed him as an instructor, and that snowflakes hate him. Let me find his image...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think I’ve already done all the math courses. I took majority of the classes at my local community college to save money. I’ll be off to NIU/UIC in the fall of 2021. How’d you know about NIU? Are you living in Chicago?
Coincidence. If you google OM & IT all you get is NIU. I'm from Wisconsin and NIU has always had a solid reputation. I did some more looking around and can't see where you go wrong if you want to learn.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coincidence. If you google OM & IT all you get is NIU. I'm from Wisconsin and NIU has always had a solid reputation. I did some more looking around and can't see where you go wrong if you want to learn.
I know UIC has that course but it's called something else.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Illinois and Purdue are the best engineering schools in the Big Ten. All Big Ten schools are research universities and generally have reciprocity along school lines. My father grew up in Chicago, so I have an uncle and cousin with engineering degrees from IU. I went to an engineering school: Michigan Technological University

It looks you have two good choices. The hard part is figuring what you really want to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts