Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So i figured since my car is already customized so much (all the modding through the years and painting random ****) I'd might as well paint my sunroof black...

The thing is im going to use spray paint :thumbup:.

Hahaha let me get everyones opinion....

·
Registered
688 Posts
No, because there's no point.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im considering cause moonroofs nowadays are black since there glass and if i paint mine black it will look better than what it is....

·
Registered
73 Posts
sure why not?:dunno:
if so go to a napa and have them make a real spray paint for ya, none of that duplicolor crap.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Try vinyl. Its always removable and if you don't like it then just take it off. Instead of sanding it down and then worrying about prep work. If you know how to paint then by all means go for it. I've done a fair share of painting car parts, but I didn't want to do my wheels because I wanted to make sure EVERYTHING was done right and I had no time to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my friend had that done professionally to his CRX and it just didn't look right....this also reminds me of the same people who get black hoods to fake the appearance of carbon fiber hoods....

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
my friend had that done professionally to his CRX and it just didn't look right....this also reminds me of the same people who get black hoods to fake the appearance of carbon fiber hoods....
CRX is the key word :lmao:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,448 Posts
Why not put your energy into making your car faster/better handling?

And frankly, cars look better without the annoying black square in the middle of the roof. Consider yourself lucky that E36s have body-color sunroof panels and leave it alone. Black sunroof: :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

It sounds like you dreamed up this project out of boredom, which is a recipe for disaster.

·
I run as fast as my car.
2,568 Posts
:behead:

And frankly, cars look better without the annoying black square in the middle of the roof. Consider yourself lucky that E36s have body-color sunroof panels and leave it alone. Black sunroof: :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

It sounds like you dreamed up this project out of boredom, which is a recipe for disaster.
:throw:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Andy, why do all your ideas suck?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

putting energy into making my car faster/better handling is going to cost me hundreds of dollars... while paying 12 bucks for 3 cans of spray paint sounds like a better idea :)

Everyone who told me its a good idea thank you :D

and for everyone that said my idea was stupid.... TOO BAD!

oh and Brad i dont think im going to paint the whole roof. Im going to start with my sunroof and see how it looks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Andy two cans of spray paint is not gonna cut it, you still need to do some prep work. You'll need to sand the old paint in order to give your primer something to stick to. Then you'll need to sand the primer and do a wet sand so that the paint you use has something to stick to and doesn't come out all bumpy....You'll also need to clear coat, this will not only bring out the paint, but also protect it...Just shooting it with two cans of black isn't gonna work, and you'll find at some point your work will be uneven, look like crap and be chipping in places you never thought it would chip. I think a black top on a two door would be awesome, but not on a four door. Just my two cents, but I also understand the only one who'll be happy with the change will be you, and the only one dissapointed with the change will be you.
Larry

·
Registered Non-OP
14,496 Posts
I don't see this ending well..... At all :dunno:

G'luck :thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts