Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my 3 series with a 5 series and came up with this deal.

2019 530i
4700 miles
convenience package and luxury package.
Price: $40,000 (MSRP $58,000)

This car is advertised as a loaner car so it will include a new car warranty and maintenance plan.
Last time when I bought my wife's car (2017 X5 40e), the dealer didn't use BMWFS but a local credit union. So my guess is that I am not eligible for any BMW loyalty. The dealer mentions this BMW loyalty possibly reflected in the advertised price, and I have not reached out to the dealer yet. It seems that during this pandemic it's a good deal not to pass. Would you like to share your thoughts? much appreciated.

ps: mods, please let me know if this question does not belong in this forum. I will remove my post.

·
Porleau
1,491 Posts
Check on the warranty & maintenance. You want to know when that car was 'punched' to see how much warranty & maintenance you have left. Also, I would be shocked if there is ANY support left on that car. But the price seems pretty good regardless.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Should you pull the trigger?

First, you need to see and drive the car because, in the end, you'll drive the car, not the deal. Gotta love the car and know it's the one you want prior to serious price discussion.

Second, 20%/year depreciation for the first 3 years is about right. This car is now 2 model years old, but low miles.

Third, how does your current BMW factor in? You gonna keep it, trade it, sell it privately in the era of COVID? If it becomes an aspect of negotiations on your next BMW, then the selling price of the next car is only one factor in the equation.

As mentioned above, original punch date (initial in-service date that started the warranty clock ticking) is important, as part of the price of the car needs to factor in remaining warranty and service.

I'm thinking, if you drive it and decide you love the car, and it's got lots of remaining warranty and is clean from nose to toes, high $30's would be a reasonable max, especially now that the 2021's with the updated look are arriving.

Lifetime ago in 2010 I bought a 2008 CPO Jag lease return with 13,000 easy miles on the clock. Car was flawless as new. Original MSRP was over $80K, I paid less than half that, out the door, with brand new tires, upgraded wheels, and what was then a 6 year/100K mile Jag CPO warranty, plus remaining factory warranty. This was not the deal the Jag dealer initially proposed, but it's what it took to get me to drive that wonderful car off the lot.

Start low.... if you love the car.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,554 Posts
I want to replace my 3 series with a 5 series and came up with this deal.

This car is advertised as a loaner car so it will include a new car warranty and maintenance plan.
Two comments. First, have you actually spent time test driving this particular car? The G30 comes with "Sport Seats" standard. For an upcharge, you can get the Multi-Contour seats, either as a stand-alone option or as part of the Luxury Seating Package. A whole lot of folks find the Sport Seats uncomfortable, primarily because of the narrowness of the seat bottom. If you are a wiry marathon runner this may not be an issue. But if you are built like a typical American, it could be. No matter how good the deal looks on paper, you don't want to be miserable in your new car.

Second, WRT to the new car warranty and maintenance plan, you need to know what the start date was for both. You may think that is automatically the day you take delivery, but you may be wrong. That 2019 was likely "punched" months ago, maybe as long ago as September 2018. You may have a lot less warranty and free maintenance than you know. You really want that pinned down up front.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I wonder about the characterization. Most loaners don't get a ton of mileage. 47K miles on a 2019 sounds like a lot more use than one would get from a loaner. I don't believe that a car can be sold as new unless it has less than 2500 miles on it. Might you have put a type in your post and could it be a much lower amount of miles (e.g., 470 miles)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts