Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I found a great deal of valuable information on your forum and I want to thank everyone who has contributed. I have a 2008 X5 E70 3.0 si with about 90K. I've had it about one year and over that time I've been able to fix and clear all but one error code. My Carly code reader says it's "very bad" and to "react immediately."

00A737
K-can message (id2Bf, valve): failure by timeout.
says it's related to the Junction Box Passenger Side

I can't identify anything that is not working with the car that I think is related to the JBE. The door locks work, all the windows work. The AC seems to work well, though it may be slightly warmer on the passenger side? There is no warning light on the instrument display.
I don't want to fix something that's not broken, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity to fix something now.

In search of some wisdom,
Matt

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,214 Posts
Huh. There is a water valve that we see failing that leads to hot/cold split on AC. Is your code also related to some AC or valve issue? Google got me a hit I think. Cojnsider that. A few recet reports here about this.

background: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70-x5-3.0d-sav/wiring-functional-info/body/display-information-functions/instrument-cluster/indicator-lights/supply-jbe-junction-box-electronics/XVDnMDM

Finally the JBE was a known problem over the years. They revised it over the course of production. Yours may be one of the old ones.

Anyway, no definitive advice....sry

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,480 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I haven't been able to isolate a fault from the JBE. For now, I will stay on guard rather than charge into battle with the JBE. My obsessive-compulsive nature will just have to deal with this last error code for now.

Thank you,
Matt

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,214 Posts
JBE replacement will be a big job. I doubt that there is a BMW procedure. I would carefully eliminate a fault with the JBE rather than replace it.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70-x5-xdrive35d-sav_201202/repair-manuals/61-general-vehicle-electrical-system/1tpXjPL
I havent done one, but I dont think it is a bg job...

The junction box electronics unit combines numerous functions in a single control unit. The junction box electronics unit is connected via 4 plug connections. A 54***8208;pin connector is for the connection to the dashboard. Two further connectors are for the connection on the main wiring harness. These are 54***8208;pin and 47***8208;pin connectors. A 23-pin internal plug connection connects the junction box directly to the power distribution box.[more ...]
4 plugs. a couple of fasteners....fuses....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,214 Posts
My guess is no, but you should google that. Probably 50 posts on the issue, among all the various BMW forums. Videos too.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,480 Posts
The only NewTIS paragraph with “replace” and “JBE” that I found.

JBE: Junction Box Electronics

The JBE is the central data interface in the vehicle (gateway for the buses).

The JBE is a component of the junction box. The junction box is an assembly consisting of the junction box electronics and front distribution box. The front distribution box and JBE can not be replaced individually.

The distribution boxes contain fuses and relays. Particularly important for the power supply are the following relays:

Relay terminal 15 (rear distribution box)
Relay terminal 30g for consumer unit shutdown (rear and front distribution boxes)
Relay terminal 30g-f for cutoff in the event of faults (rear distribution box)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70-x5-3.0si-sav/wiring-functional-info/body/voltage-supply/XgcYivl

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e70-x5-3.0si-sav/wiring-functional-info/body/display-information-functions/instrument-cluster/indicator-lights/supply-jbe-junction-box-electronics/XVDnMDM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts