Bimmerfest BMW banner

If I Rotate My Tires It Would:

• Both improve my grip and last more miles.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only improve my grip, and not change miles till worn out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improve my grip, but last fewer miles.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Last more miles, but not change my grip.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Last more miles, and decrease my grip.

• None of the above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have 235/40 S-03’s at all four corners and this year’s autocross season’s is quickly causing some noticeable wear. I have participated in ~6 events this year and will probably enter in another 12 to 15 more before the season is over. I am also expecting to attend a 2-day driving school at the track.

The wear pattern on my front tires is not the same as the wear pattern on my rear tires. The edges of the tread on the front tires are developing more of a wispy look. If I were to swap the front tires with the rear tires I am sure this would even out the wear, but would it really help the tires last a few more miles and would it harm/help my performance?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
I assume you mean to swap the front and rears, but keep them on the same side....

I think they would last longer, but decrease performance...

My car is in service now, and I they callled yesterday "strongly" recommending an alignment due to the wear patters, i.e. smooth, thin outer half of the front tires. It was aligned in October and is in alignment :p

T

·
0 Posts
Apparently Nate and I both know the correct answer. It's a trade-off. Increased life and decreased grip.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nate328Ci said:
I assume you mean to swap the front and rears, but keep them on the same side....
Yeah that's my idea, but if it would be worth it, I could have them remounted so that I could place them on the other side.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:

Yeah that's my idea, but if it would be worth it, I could have them remounted so that I could place them on the other side.
I wouldn't do it; hell, your owner's manual even says that it will adversely effect handling...

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nate328Ci said:
My car is in service now, and I they callled yesterday "strongly" recommending an alignment due to the wear patters, i.e. smooth, thin outer half of the front tires. It was aligned in October and is in alignment :p
I wonder... as the outside wears, does that give them sort of a (-)camber effect (without camber plates), which is good for cornering?

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I wouldn't do it; hell, your owner's manual even says that it will adversely effect handling...
But he's already removed the stock staggered set-up, so that's already counter to the owners manual.

I'd rotate them.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

But he's already removed the stock staggered set-up, so that's already counter to the owners manual.

I'd rotate them.
My car didn't come with staggered tires. The principle agianst rotating on these cars is true no matter if they are staggered or not....

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TD said:

I'd rotate them.
Why:
To delay spending money on expensive tires?
To go fast?
Or are you just saying that so I will go slower than you:p ?

T

·
0 Posts
CD-55 said:

Why:
To delay spending money on expensive tires?
To go fast?
Or are you just saying that so I will go slower than you:p ?
I'd rotate because I'd want to maximize the tire life (I'm cheap, remember).

Anyone want to buy a used Conti?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
CD-55 said:

I wonder... as the outside wears, does that give them sort of a (-)camber effect (without camber plates), which is good for cornering?
You will get better grip, but lower life....

If you burnt off your tread blocks and have smooth shoulders, you have a much larger contact patch that improves grip; also, due to the rear camber settings, the rears wear on the inside of the tires, if you put that on the front, it will decrease turn in response and decrease your grip; i.e. UNDERSTEER

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nate328Ci said:

You will get better grip, but lower life....

If you burnt off your tread blocks and have smooth shoulders, you have a much larger contact patch that improves grip; also, due to the rear camber settings, the rears wear on the inside of the tires, if you put that on the front, it will decrease turn in response and decrease your grip; i.e. UNDERSTEER
Oh yuck!!! I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN!!!

Sorry TD, looks like I better not rotate.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
I would (and when I had the 323, did) rotate; the way to do it, of course, is to rotate the tires *before* there is a dramatic difference in wear patterns, front to rear. I do not think that the difference in handling (so long as the wear differential isn't extreme) will be dramatic.

But what you really should do is get some R compounds mounted on those SSRs and put the Type 68s back on for the street.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JST said:
But what you really should do is get some R compounds mounted on those SSRs and put the Type 68s back on for the street.
Not a bad idea that would help me be more competitive in the SCCA events that allow for R compounds! When these S-03's wear out maybe I will do that.

My main issue is that the SSR's are 100X eaiser to clean than the 68's and I kind of like my street wheels to look a little clean.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I had pretty much made up my mind that i wasn't going to rotate my tires for all the above reasons. But I started to get some eneven wear on my new Pilots, and the recommended fix for this was to rotate (had the alignment checked - it was perfect). I had about 4000 miles on the tires, and decided to go ahead and do it. Initially, the steering felt a little funny but now after 3 weeks, the tires and handling feel the same as they did before. Best of all, the funny noise they were begining to make has gone away.

I think that if you choose to rotate, and keep as much grip as possible, you will need to do so every 3-4K miles, and live with the 2-3 week "wear in" period before taking the car to extremes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts