BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2005 545i with about 135k miles on it And it's been a pain to fix. The coolant system is always leaking and it is always haveing issues with the power steering. I don't know if I should keep trying to fix it or just sell it. Would after market parts be a gold idea?

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
622 Posts
take a lost and sell it, you'll sleep better at night.....not worth the time and money if you 're unable to wrench yourself.

·
Under the lift arms
12,964 Posts
take a lost and sell it, you'll sleep better at night.....not worth the time and money if you 're unable to wrench yourself.
:thumbup:

sad but true

just not for you

·
Registered
995 Posts
So I have a 2005 545i with about 135k miles on it And it's been a pain to fix. The coolant system is always leaking and it is always haveing issues with the power steering. I don't know if I should keep trying to fix it or just sell it. Would after market parts be a gold idea?

Keep it and fix it. Cooling system including radiator, expansion tank, upper and lower hose and water pump shouldn't cost more than $600-$700. Power steering pump and tank with filter another $500. For $1200 you can have these two issues fixed. I recommend keeping it because you won't get much for your 545i but if maintained can last you a long way for another 130k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its leaking, find the culprit, maybe nobody has replaced the hoses and pressure is starting the break all the weak points.

whats wrong with the power steering?
So yeah there is a weak point and the mechanics keep saying oh well just clamp it and then a week later the hose just plops off. I would fix it my self but I don't know how. And that's the main issue. It's not that its broken but apparently no mechanic can make sure the hose stays. 20181214_145321.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep it and fix it. Cooling system including radiator, expansion tank, upper and lower hose and water pump shouldn't cost more than $600-$700. Power steering pump and tank with filter another $500. For $1200 you can have these two issues fixed. I recommend keeping it because you won't get much for your 545i but if maintained can last you a long way for another 130k miles.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Im going to give it one more shot and let's see what happens from there.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,243 Posts
So yeah there is a weak point and the mechanics keep saying oh well just clamp it and then a week later the hose just plops off. I would fix it my self but I don't know how. And that's the main issue. It's not that its broken but apparently no mechanic can make sure the hose stays. View attachment 833635

That looks like you have dynamic drive active sway bar. That's the pump in the middle of the picture. You see the hoses on the left in the picture? The one shiny line looks like someone replaced part of it by hacking it up. Pretty sure that hose is supposed to be a high pressure hose and I see someone has just used hose clamps. Maybe what happened is the hose started leaking around the crimp fitting and someone hacked it up. In any case, probably all that oil is from the pump leaking on that fitting and, maybe, another.

You have a couple options. First thing I'd do is degrease that area and find the sources of leaking. If it is just that hose, the replace that hose. If other spots too, then determine cost. You don't really need a functioning active sway bar to own and drive the car.

#9 or #10 in this diagram I suspect:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-10-2004-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=31_0667

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like you have dynamic drive active sway bar. That's the pump in the middle of the picture. You see the hoses on the left in the picture? The one shiny line looks like someone replaced part of it by hacking it up. Pretty sure that hose is supposed to be a high pressure hose and I see someone has just used hose clamps. Maybe what happened is the hose started leaking around the crimp fitting and someone hacked it up. In any case, probably all that oil is from the pump leaking on that fitting and, maybe, another.

You have a couple options. First thing I'd do is degrease that area and find the sources of leaking. If it is just that hose, the replace that hose. If other spots too, then determine cost. You don't really need a functioning active sway bar to own and drive the car.

#9 or #10 in this diagram I suspect:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-10-2004-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=31_0667
Thanks a lot for your input I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Cars don't last forever. I've kept one BMW to 115k miles. In 20/20 hindsight, I should have sold it at 100k miles. The 102k to 112k mile stint cost me $7k in maintenance and repairs and another $3k in depreciation. For $1/mile, I could have been driving a new BMW. I still loved the car. But, it was becoming too old had too many miles to be a reliable road trip car.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
So yeah there is a weak point and the mechanics keep saying oh well just clamp it and then a week later the hose just plops off. I would fix it my self but I don't know how. And that's the main issue. It's not that its broken but apparently no mechanic can make sure the hose stays. View attachment 833635

I hate to bash people or mechanics ,,, but in this case , the mechanic who told you to clamp on a high pressure hose is an idiot . Truth be told ..

Twh is correct .. you can see that the new fluid is power blasting the old fluid off the subframe . A new high pressure hose is needed , hose clamp will never hold the pressure . And that's what the mechanic should have recommended.

On the coolant leaks , oldie is correct .. what is needed is a coolant system overhaul .
No need to sell your car for these repairs . The leaks have not been properly addressed...

Save the labor costs buy yourself some tools , roll up your sleeves and DIY ... if you need help there are plenty of us here to come to your aid . We'll give you all the information you need to get it done ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to bash people or mechanics ,,, but in this case , the mechanic who told you to clamp on a high pressure hose is an idiot . Truth be told ..

Twh is correct .. you can see that the new fluid is power blasting the old fluid off the subframe . A new high pressure hose is needed , hose clamp will never hold the pressure . And that's what the mechanic should have recommended.

On the coolant leaks , oldie is correct .. what is needed is a coooant system overhaul .
No need to sell your car for these repairs . The leaks have not been properly addressed...

Save the labor costs buy yourself some tools , roll up your sleeves and DIY ... if you need help there are plenty of us here to come to your aid . We'll give you all the information you need to get it done ...
Thank you I appreciate it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So where would you recommend me to buy these parts?

Rockauto.com is good for cheap parts but cheap isn't always the best. Assess your situation on what you need and ask here specifically. You'll be directed to best sources with good customer service, genuine parts and relatively good deals.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
So where would you recommend me to buy these parts?

Lately ,,, I've been using FCP euro .. Customer service is excellent , prices are competitive, and lifetime warranty on everything they sell . I like that . Can't go wrong there ...
https://www.fcpeuro.com.

I've also used autohausAZ they also have good customer service.
https://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-parts/index.html

Both vendors have no taxes and free shipping after a certain amount ..

·
Under the lift arms
12,964 Posts
rockauto has crazy shipping prices...

If im spending 14$ it shouldn't cost 26 to ship...

even 14$ at bav or ecs only cost a few dollars..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lately ,,, I've been using FCP euro .. Customer service is excellent , prices are competitive, and lifetime warranty on everything they sell . I like that . Can't go wrong there ...
https://www.fcpeuro.com.

I've also used autohausAZ they also have good customer service.
https://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-parts/index.html

Both vendors have no taxes and free shipping after a certain amount ..
Thank you I'll check them out. I really appreciate the help guys.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thank you I'll check them out. I really appreciate the help guys.

+ for fcpeuro
Used to use pelicanparts for years but shipping cost got too high plus FCP price and warranty is better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would second the people that have suggested to keep it and DYI. Looks like you***8217;ve had bad mechanics, finding a good one isn***8217;t always easy. If you are not up to DYI, you will need a better mechanic, preferably someone that specializes on BMW. I get most the parts from FCPeuro, like others said, competitive pricing, free shipping, and lifetime warranty. Other sites: ECStuning, bimmerworld, Turner Motorsports, pelican parts, parts geek. Bmwfans.info has parts diagrams that could help identify part numbers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts