Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned 2003 3.0i for over four years. I’ve put about 10,000 miles on it in that time. I love driving the car. I’ve done some maintenance but really haven’t had any problems other then the usual things. New tires last year, new control arm bushings. Valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket. I’m considering test driving a 2008 3.0i. I would like to have Bluetooth. I would be going from an auto tran to a manual, which I think would be a plus. But I would be losing 10 HP. The 08’ only has 54,000. My 03’ has 81,000 miles. What do you guys think. Is this a good move.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I think the move to stick will negate any hp loss. A better upgrade would be to the Si, more torque across the board and 40 more hp on top. If you are able to test drive one I think you'll be sold. I don't think going from an 03 to 08 is a big upgrade otherwise for the same model though. There are subtle improvements between years but nothing major, and both cars are pretty low mileage so I don't see any real advantage unless you are jonesing for a stick. If you end up keeping your car you can add bluetooth to your factory stereo with a Grom unit, it is plug and play. Sorry-- guess that was at least 3 cents.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Dealer said car already sold and he had people from all over calling about it. Looked like a really good condition car for only $12,000. I wanted to take it for a test drive. I’ll stick with what I have till something else comes along.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Spring is in the air, and convertibles are in demand as are boats. The key is to zig while everybody else is zagging. A buddy of mine likes to buy and sell boats as a hobby. He waits until the end of summer when demand is near zero and then starts surfing craigslist for a bargain ski or pleasure boat that was someone's summer toy. He enjoys it all year (entirely possible in sunny FL), and then sells it in May for a tidy profit, when demand for boats has skyrocketed.
Sorry you missed out on that car, but sounds like your car is already sorted and with such relatively low mileage it should be a snap to sell when you find the next perfect ride.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am jonesing for a manual transmission a little. For as little as I drive the car the manual would be even more fun. When I bought my 03 in 2014 liked that it didn’t have any of the tech features and was kinda of old school. No automatic headlight, old school radio and just a clean looking steering wheel. Now after four years Ive started to want those features. In a perfect world I would pickup a 2009 or newer 3.0 si, but the current budget doesn’t allow that, ie my sons college tuition. So when I saw that 08 for only $12000, it loooked like it could a good possibility for a inexpensive upgrade. I’ve got two more years of tuition payments and after that I can seriously start looking.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That makes good economic sense. I think the tech upgrades on the newer cars are welcome, but IMHO the 2nd gen car (09+) is a bit less sporting, if that matters to you. Excepting perhaps the M versions, I feel these cars will fly below the "collectible" radar for years to come, meaning you will still be able to buy a nice unmolested example for relatively little money once the tuition payments are done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second what Andy said -- Try finding a low mileage Si either 2007-2008 model. The manual is more fun especially since you will be driving it for enjoyment rather than a daily car.
I have the nice factory stereo but so many times I find I just leave it off and enjoy the wind and exhaust tunes. :)

Happy hunting for the next one. They are out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts