BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend and manager of about 10 years picked up his Space Gray M3 sedan (DCT, competition and other goodies) at the South Carolina BMW Performance Delivery Center today.

It's an incredible experience and if you buy a new BMW and can make it work you should absolutely go. The entire experience is memorable and the folks who work there do a great job.

Driving M3's with reckless abandon on the road course was probably the most fun I'd had in years, of course until the hot lap in the M5 with one of the instructors. Their mantra is NYC, as in "not your car".

Driving the M3 sedan was intoxicating. Hammering the throttle on the too short straightaway and then braking for the first tight turn illustrated what separates the M3 from my 335i. I could only justify such a vehicle if it was going to spend significant time at a track. Also the gas mileage is a bit rough, but what I did really like was the DCT - pretty sure my next car will have one, just not sure which car it will be. Who knows, maybe an F30 M3?

When I got back in my 335i for the drive back to Atlanta I was afraid the bug had bitten and I'd find my car bland or boring, but it was just the opposite. While it's no M, it still offers a lot of the same ingredients and continues to be a blast to drive. Oh, and it recently turned 4 years old from when I picked it up in Munich on March 30th, 2007. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
My good friend and manager of about 10 years picked up his Space Gray M3 sedan (DCT, competition and other goodies) at the South Carolina BMW Performance Delivery Center today.

It's an incredible experience and if you buy a new BMW and can make it work you should absolutely go. The entire experience is memorable and the folks who work there do a great job.

Driving M3's with reckless abandon on the road course was probably the most fun I'd had in years, of course until the hot lap in the M5 with one of the instructors. Their mantra is NYC, as in "not your car".

Driving the M3 sedan was intoxicating. Hammering the throttle on the too short straightaway and then braking for the first tight turn illustrated what separates the M3 from my 335i. I could only justify such a vehicle if it was going to spend significant time at a track. Also the gas mileage is a bit rough, but what I did really like was the DCT - pretty sure my next car will have one, just not sure which car it will be. Who knows, maybe an F30 M3?

When I got back in my 335i for the drive back to Atlanta I was afraid the bug had bitten and I'd find my car bland or boring, but it was just the opposite. While it's no M, it still offers a lot of the same ingredients and continues to be a blast to drive. Oh, and it recently turned 4 years old from when I picked it up in Munich on March 30th, 2007. :thumbup:
I totally agree about the fun factor. Having come out of an E46 M3 I wondered how much I would miss it. My 335i 6MT gives me plenty to happy about and I'm quite convinced that the N54 engine is quite under-rated at 306. One big difference vs. my previous M3: the LA "car boys" don't challenge me anymore (used to by a daily event). Just as well; no tickets. Could it be the car or increasingly grey hair :dunno:

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
///M cars can take track abuse over and over again, especially the S54/S65. Sounds like a good time.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Just think about a fill-up at the pump next time because the flip side is you wont get to know your neighborhood gas attendant as well as the dude with the M.Trying to cheer you up!

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I like the M3's V8 as much as I like the turbocharged inline-6 in the 335i. Both have very few drawbacks.

Sounds like fun.

- Mike

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I could only justify such a vehicle if it was going to spend significant time at a track. Also the gas mileage is a bit rough, but what I did really like was the DCT - pretty sure my next car will have one, just not sure which car it will be. Who knows, maybe an F30 M3?
The 335is is a great compromise. Faster than a 335i; not much more expensive than a 335i; a lot less expensive than an M3; in overboost mode, way more torque than an M3; better mileage than an M3; and the only other car besides an M3 that offers the DCT. Perfect for those occasional trips to the track, which is exactly what BMW designed it for. And it's available now. Your 335i is going to be out of warranty. Buy a 335is now and the F30 M3 in three years when all the bugs are worked out.

6MT for me though. It may the last 6MT available before my next new car.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 335is is a great compromise. Faster than a 335i; not much more expensive than a 335i; a lot less expensive than an M3; in overboost mode, way more torque than an M3; better mileage than an M3; and the only other car besides an M3 that offers the DCT. Perfect for those occasional trips to the track, which is exactly what BMW designed it for. And it's available now. Your 335i is going to be out of warranty. Buy a 335is now and the F30 M3 in three years when all the bugs are worked out.

6MT for me though. It may the last 6MT available before my next new car.
I've seen a few 335is in Atlanta and they really are sharp. However, I also have a ton of options on my current car and optioning a 335is coupe up to what I have now (minus Sirius + DCT) brings it within 10K of a similarly optioned M3 coupe which presents a dilemma. If $70K makes me balk then $60K makes me take pause as well. Or, on the other hand, if I can stomach $60K, I can certainly get over another $10K. You only live once.

I've got an aftermarket warranty to 100K so I'm keeping the 335i for a while. Really recently it's been pretty reliable. A few annoyances like squealing brakes but nothing that would make me get rid of the car - it's in fantastic shape despite a couple of fender benders. I also have, new in the box, for $133 + delivery from Tischer, the BMW Performance Suspension sitting in my office to be installed at some point in the not too distant future.

Unless my car is totaled or becomes a maintenance headache I'm keeping it for a while. I'd prefer to make my next car at least 2 years from now when the F30 coupe is out and reliability is known. I used to be on the new car every 3 years trip but this one is keeping me happy so far.

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts
This is precisely how I feel about my car after I test drive something else. Very well said.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I've never driven an M3. However, my 2005 545i had a V8 and I wasn't happy with it. From what I've read about the M3, the car is so damn good because it is easily adaptable to every situation. Most folks can drive it on the street and it behaves itself. The 545i was always pushing me to exceed speed limits on the street-there wasn't any "docility". I was glad to turn it in when my 3 year lease was up.

Someday, I will drive an M3. I'm sure it is terrific. Car & Driver has labeled the M3 Coupe-"simply the best car in the world" and the M3 sedan-the "second best car in the world".

Who knows? I may eventually trade my "you know what" for an M3 next year.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,398 Posts
Who knows? I may eventually trade my "you know what" for an M3 next year.
..and then you can start a 'I downgraded' thread......:rofl:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
..and then you can start a 'I downgraded' thread......:rofl:
Ha! Ha! Next year I am seriously considering it-while my other car can still command serious cash-it would make a nice down payment on an M3.

The wife is already screaming at me: "WTF!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?????" She doesn't speak Shakespeare.

What can I say-I am a car person addict.

Man, do I get bored easily!!! :tsk:

·
BMWCCA Member #405750
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Ditto, I get a 3 year itch with cars. And welcome back my friend.
Unfortunately, I get it after a month!

The thing I should do is rent upscale cars for a month for $2000-$3000 and get the emotion out of my system.

The wife is worried I will be draining her inheritance. I mean, what else is there?:rofl:

Thanks for the kind words.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've never driven an M3, but I do have a somewhat related situation in comparing a 335 and a much more powerful V8 car. I have a C6 Corvette as well as a new 335 sedan, which replaced my previous 540. I had, for quite a while, enjoyed the sport car/luxury car combo. My 540 aged out, and I just switched to the 335 since it was closest in size to the 540 which I was replacing.

While the 335 is still just a few weeks old (and my feelings may change) it turns out to be way more fun than my 540. I used to appreciate the difference between the raw power of the manually-transmissioned Corvette and the more luxurious auto 540, but initially even my auto tranny in the new 335 seems to provide a splendid combination of spark and smooth. When I drive it, I don't find myself missing the Corvette, and I'm not at all sure that I'm going to keep the C6. Maybe summer, and the removable roof, will change my mind. Maybe after I get familiar with the 335 I'll come to more seriosuly miss the manual transmission. But regardless, the 335 really seems to me to be an astounding combination of pleasures.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
The wife is worried I will be draining her inheritance. I mean, what else is there?:rofl:
Bah! That's why there's life insurance. Perfect estate planning is spending your last cent the day you die!

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Bah! That's why there's life insurance. Perfect estate planning is spending your last cent the day you die!
I agree! Why work hard if you can't enjoy the fruits of one's labor?:dunno:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts