BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting a new thread with the correct title and tags for easier access . . .

A big thank you to bmwx5er who posted the actual SIB (attached below) that showed my car was inspected against the wrong version of this SIB. My car was reinspected two days ago and still no signs of any corrosion or excessive wear or radial play.

Current odometer 100,000+ miles.

Original SI B26 01 14 was dated June 2014. This was soon superseded by the Aug. 2014 version - which required a "Service Action Label" with code 673 to be fixed to the B-pillar.

Although my car was inspected in Sept. 2014, no label was affixed to the B-pillar . . . given this I told the dealer my car was inspected per the outdated SIB . . . dealer agreed to inspect it again free of charge.

The Aug. 2014 has since been replaced by a March 2015 version - no idea whether the steps listed for this inspection has changed - perhaps a more thorough inspection?

If someone has access to the latest March 2015 version of this SIB (SI B26 01 14) please post it and we can do a comparison.

In April 2015 BMW removed the requirement for the "Service Action Label #673" . . . now after the inspection is completed only the key fob scan will show this campaign as completed, no B-pillar sticker.

For now I am going to leave this alone . . . closer to 120,000 miles (extended warranty limit) I will have my Indy inspect it again . . . if there is any radial play I will try and get the axle replaced under warranty.

Given I plan to keep this car for some more years (180-200,000 miles) I may just go ahead and replace this axle . . . part cost is about $600 plus labor . . .

Old P/N 26207597649

Superseded by: P/N 26208605866

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is the first I recall seeing a date range for affected cars. Which is a relief to me since I have a later production model.

Anyone know if that is accurate and have evidence of the bad part number on production models February and later?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,439 Posts
I have a letter based on my VIN extending my front propellor shaft warranty to 10 years/120K miles, for my build date in February 2012

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just added part numbers to my original post . . . looks like the new part came in February 2013 . . .

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a letter based on my VIN extending my front propellor shaft warranty to 10 years/120K miles, for my build date in February 2012
I just added part numbers to my original post . . . looks like the new part came in February 2013 . . .
That doesn't quite add up then.

I gave mine a quick inspection a few weeks back and didn't see a label to check the part number. Everything was still like new looking and I didn't feel any play anywhere, but trying to get a visual on inspection was near impossible for me having not put everything up on jack-stands.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Crosslinking . . . just in case anyone missed this long thread about this driveshaft issue . . . ths "safety action" is now upgraded to a "safety recall" . . . and yes the front axle will be replaced at no charge.

For easy reference I am also attaching the relevant notices and related autoblog article.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
and this still only covers 2010-11 cars, while 2012 cars has the defect parts and have experienced issues.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I called my local dealer and he had no idea about the recall, wasnt showing up in his system under my VIN.
Called BMWUSA and they do show it. The rep said they will be mailing out the official letters in July , Said they are making sure the service centers have parts, tools and procedures available in the mean time.
She said since its a recall now, the 120k mile cap is not an issue, it will be replaced free of charge regardless of miles.

Keep an eye out for the letter soon.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,181 Posts
Anyone notice that this "procedure" lacks (1) an actual TECHNIQUE for measuring radial play, and (2) a definition of what is "excessive"???

I mean, what 'grab it and shake it"?? or 'attach a dial indicator; apply 10N force, measure deflection- if over 0.01mm replace"

No wonder we have reports of failures after the SIB is completed....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I called my local dealer and he had no idea about the recall, wasnt showing up in his system under my VIN.
Called BMWUSA and they do show it. The rep said they will be mailing out the official letters in July , Said they are making sure the service centers have parts, tools and procedures available in the mean time.
She said since its a recall now, the 120k mile cap is not an issue, it will be replaced free of charge regardless of miles.

Keep an eye out for the letter soon.
Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,439 Posts
Heat does not cause corrosion/rust. Corrosion is generally caused by a susceptible material, an electrolyte, and an oxidant electron source. Like all chemical process, corrosion is accelerated by heat.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Heat does not cause corrosion/rust. Corrosion is generally caused by a susceptible material, an electrolyte, and an oxidant electron source. Like all chemical process, corrosion is accelerated by heat.
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to make an appointment to get it checked out, complain about noise or vibration.

·
Registered
448 Posts
UPDATE:

I just scheduled an appointment for mine to get checked out. I talked to few people over the phone and was told this was an inspection recall and if they determine its defective then they will replace it.
On the BMW online look-up it says "BMW will replace the drive shaft" so im going to argue that they should just replace it since mine has the old part on it still.

I will be dropping it off July 5th so i will update after that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took my X5 in on June 15. As part of the service, I had them inspect the drive shaft per SIB 26 01 14 . They replaced the drive shaft no charge and said the correct bulletin is SIB 01 15 15 (as typed on the service invoice)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts